Can i amp the Factory Speakers? (00 Accord EX V6)

samcrac

Hey,

I have a 2000 Accord EX V6, and was wondering, if i put a lowered power, 4 channel amp (maybe around 40rms watts) to the stock speakers, would it affect anything? Can i use the stock wiring with no problem? I already have an aftermarket headunit, its a new Sony, pushing i think 19rms watts. Last, would i notice a good difference in sound quality? Thanks for taking the time to look!

Sam

Im not sure about the factory speaker specs but 40 rms should be fine aslong as its not kicking them to hard the diffrence in sound quality is it would be clearer at higher volumes its not as much likley to distort.....just make sure you dont hear a rattle or such when you turn it and you should be fine

drive it to them dude it wont hurt them. youl find with an amp on them it will make them sound twice as good as with factory head unit alone or your sony. use your gains on the amp to fine tune to avoid distortion.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Just like cranny said that shouldn't hurt anything. Also keep in mind that simply replacing your factory head unit with an after market one... I have a Aiwa that has an amp built into it to power 4 channels... can change the way your speakers sound tremendously. Also, wiring an amp can sometimes be a b*** because you usually have to pull power from the battery and if you are not very experienced it can be tedious at first, but I definently have to say wiring an amp is a good starter project to get you really into your car.

Another neat trick: You can pray on the advice of reps at Best Buy's car audio center. You can ask them a million questions and they technically can't tell you to "beat it" so that was a great source of info for me when I had audio questions. I asked multiple people to get the best information, I'm sure some of them aren't the best. (Don't buy Best Buy Audio overpriced and underpowered IMO) Best of Luck! !!!

I'm not thinking about "amping" my factory speakers, but I have been thinking about swapping the speakers out of a CL... maybe even the head unit... I know some of the lower level factory radios in the accord have a couple small plugs, but mine has the one big sucker... which i think maybe the same as a CL, anyone know?

Archived