04 accord - breaks - backs wore out first

needhelpplease

Hello everyone,

i just wanted to find out if anyone has had problems or have been told that with the newer accords, that the back brakes wear out more then the front. that goes against the rule of a front wheel drive vehicle that the fronts wear out alot faster then the back. Anyone ever been told that?

Hello everyone,

i just wanted to find out if anyone has had problems or have been told that with the newer accords, that the back brakes wear out more then the front. that goes against the rule of a front wheel drive vehicle that the fronts wear out alot faster then the back. Anyone ever been told that?

I just replaced the brakes on my Brothers 2000 Accord 15 minutes ago. If you look at the pads the rear are MUCH smaller than the front so they should wear first. Easy brake job though.

What are these parts that are worn out first? i do not know of any breaks being on cars...

your posts are worthless.

if you said anything that had at least a small dose of intelligence it would be okay.

• 4 months later...
Hello everyone,

i have always thought my fronts would ware twice as quickly as the rears. not in this case, 49000 fronts 1/2 life and rears shot

i have always thought my fronts would ware twice as quickly as the rears. not in this case, 49000 fronts 1/2 life and rears shot

Yea the rear disks only really work with the e-brake...

The most of the jist of the boost goes to the front brakes...unless if the front brakes have a leak and all the boost goes to the rear. This is what's happening to me. I have a major leak in both the front calipers.

The only reason the rear brakes should wear out well ahead of the front is if there is a problem. On some vehicles, the rear brake mechanisms are poorly designed and end up not moving freely like they should. This results in the brake pads "dragging", meaning they sit on the drum/disk (depending on your setup) while you are driving and wear out prematurely. This was a real issue on my old '03 Nissan Sentra Spec V where the hinge that allowed the brakes to float (just hover above the surface of the disk) would seize.

And the person that said the rear brakes are stricly used for the emergency brake, I hope to god you don't work on anyones car. :crazy:

And the person that said the rear brakes are stricly used for the emergency brake, I hope to god you don't work on anyones car.

Okay...

A: I said only really work w/ the e-brake, moron.(implying that they work when you press the brakes) They put out pressure, just not as much as the front calipers.

B: You are a n00b, get over urself.

C: You drove a nissan and compared a honda to it...yea, no props to u.

seriously man, get some respect b/4 dissing ppl. it's not a default. this is the first time i've ever heard abt brake prollems on a honda. DSMs, on the other hand, have a WORLD of problems w/ their brakes.

but whatever, I explained it quite well. and i think they know that there is a problem( duuuhhh). There must be a leak in the line maybe...or it could be something bigger....naturally it's usually a leak. bleed ur brakes and make sure there is no air in the lines. If there isnt, then it might be ur master cylinder.

learn a bit n00b b/4 u start talking. thanks.

• 5 months later...

I've had pads, calipers, and 3 master cylinders replaced on my '04 Accord EX V6. I am not surprised other people are having brake problems. Seems to me that Honda designed a crappy braking system, and then compounded the problem by using cheap parts. I am ready to abandon Honda forever.

I have 175,000 miles on my rear brake pads and rotors. I assure you there is another problem if you are replacing them. I'm also only on my 2nd set of front pads with original rotors. Ya'll got problems or can't drive, one or the other.

I've had pads, calipers, and 3 master cylinders replaced on my '04 Accord EX V6. I am not surprised other people are having brake problems. Seems to me that Honda designed a crappy braking system, and then compounded the problem by using cheap parts. I am ready to abandon Honda forever.

You probably drive like an idiot.

Oh and don't complain about pads being replaced because everyone has to replace them eventually. It's just basic car maintenance.

I don't see what could have happened to your calipers either. They are basically just a piece of steel.

Did you mean rotors?

You probably drive like an idiot.

Oh and don't complain about pads being replaced because everyone has to replace them eventually. It's just basic car maintenance.

I don't see what could have happened to your calipers either. They are basically just a piece of steel.

Did you mean rotors?

Well......I am going to ignore your calling me an idiot.....I am 50 years old, and have been driving since I was 17.....I've never had to replace a master cylinder on any car I owned......I know the difference between a caliper and a rotor.....the Honda tech said that the caliper had frozen, and that caused the right rear pads to wear out.....I had that work done, and soon after that, the pedal went soft, and they replaced the m/c......this has now happened 2 more times....and nobody seems to be able to find the real problem......they just replace the m/c and the brakes are fine for about 2 or 3 months and then it happens again.....

I might add that my old '99 Accord NEVER had a problem.....period.....neither did my Civic.......too bad both of those cars were leased......it just seems that this generation of Accords are poorly built......I understand the "true" Accord is the Acura TSX....too bad for me.

As for how I drive.....I drive 50 miles round trip 5 days a week....in mixed traffic....sometimes highway speed....sometimes stop and go due to rush hour.....I do almost no city driving......

Hello everyone,

I have a 04 V6 accord sedan and i have 34,000 miles and my back breaks were rubbing terribly so i just made the warranty by a 1,000 miles and had them replaced. Front brakes are fine. I have disc brakes.

Archived