Royal Purple Ice

People started talking about motor oil because Royal Purple makes oil. I don't think 90IntegraC1 had ever heard of Royal Purple Ice, so he just assumed it was the oil he had heard about.

I totally agree with how infuriating it is to hear that "oil is oil." That's like the people that would come into the tire shop and say that "a tire is a tire." If there weren't any differences between products, I think people would have caught on by now.

About what you said about the flaws of synthetic oil, would that especially be a problem with high mileage engines? My car's got a lot of miles on it, and an oil change coming up and I was thinking of going full synthetic with it. Is that something you would recommend, or should I stay with regular oil or semi-synthetics for high-mile vehicles?

To be quite honest, most of the additive "packages" that good synthetic oils use eliminates the problem. I know that Mobil1 uses PAO's and garuntees not to effect the seals. Royal Purple has the same garuntee, but nowhere on there site do they tell what synthetic basestock they use. That personally bothers me. I've been doing some research on synthetic oils today and have found a lot of good things about AMS synthetic, German Castrol Syntec 0w30, and Redline. My research continues.

I run Mobil1 Synthetic now, but will possibly switch. It looks like Mobil1 is a great oil, but there might be some slightly better. In reality it probably doesn't make much difference since they will both be high quality, but we'll see. IMO, if you are going to run synthetic oil, you should pick a manufacturer and stick with them. You don't want to switch between the characteristics of shrinking seals PAO's and swelling seals Diesters. I don't think either one shirnks or swells enough to make it leak, but going back and forth between them might make that happen.

I'm leaning heavily toward AMSOIL's Synthetic oil. Every single place I research goes back to saying that their oil protects leaps and bounds better than the next closest competitor. The same research shows Royal purple and Redline pretty far down on the list as far as protection. Also redline is the only company so far that I've seen that uses Polyolesters instead of PAO's. Don't know if that's good or bad, but interesting nonetheless.

AMSOIL? I think I've seen that around. If it isn't too much more than Mobile 1 then I'll give it a yoink.

Right now I've got Pennzoil semi-synthetic high-mileage vehicle oil in my car and it runs perdy well. Still, if I can upgrade, why not?

AMSOIL will cost a decent bit more than Mobil1. Closer to the pricing of Royal Purple. I just got done reading a fairly large write-up by a Triboligist regarding the motor oil. I'm not going to get into all his details, but after reading his writeup I will be using AMSOIL S2000 oil or Redline oil from now on. He referenced Royal Purple in saying that they would not give him any information about their product for him to analyze, which made him very skeptical. Every other company he talked with, gladly gave the stuff he wanted for analyzation.

If you have a minute go to AMSOIL's website and read up some of their stuff. They had a guy with a MACK truck that went 409,000 miles on an oil change and then had the engine torn down and analyzed. The engine didn't have anymore wear than if it had been changed every 20,000 miles (like manuf. suggested on that truck).

I'd never heard that before, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I would tend to doubt it, though, since I don't see honda engineers designing technology that commonly burns oil.

So where did Mobil 1 fall on the list of oils you've checked into. I've been using it for quite some time and don't want to switch with out a good reason. I like sticking with one brand due to additive pkgs.

Archived