91 Accord Sport "S" light blinking...

fry_guy

Hi Guys,

I apologize if this has been covered but the search function of the forums keeps breaking and I can't get any solid results.

I have a 91 Accord EX (142,000KM's Automatic) and the sport light has started blinking. I was driving to work this morning using cruise at about 100Km/h (2,300-2,400 RPM) and I thought I felt the car stutter or try and shift, and then the "S" light started blinking. I couldn't stop until the car was shut off then on again. It has blinked recently and even last summer but there has never been any adverse effects. Is this a omen of something about to happen or is there an obvious fix?

All help is appreciated!

UPDATE: Does this have to do with the speed sensor?

Hi Guys,

I apologize if this has been covered but the search function of the forums keeps breaking and I can't get any solid results.

I have a 91 Accord EX (142,000KM's Automatic) and the sport light has started blinking. I was driving to work this morning using cruise at about 100Km/h (2,300-2,400 RPM) and I thought I felt the car stutter or try and shift, and then the "S" light started blinking. I couldn't stop until the car was shut off then on again. It has blinked recently and even last summer but there has never been any adverse effects. Is this a omen of something about to happen or is there an obvious fix?

All help is appreciated!

UPDATE: Does this have to do with the speed sensor?

you need to get the code and post it here, jump the service connector and read the flashes on the instrument cluster, .......Connector is located rt side , under dash, next to kick panel, it is a blue connector , possibly wrapped in blue tape , it has 2 wires going to it, jump those wires , turn the key on and count the blinks

long blink = 10

short blink = 1

• 3 weeks later...
you need to get the code and post it here, jump the service connector and read the flashes on the instrument cluster, .......Connector is located rt side , under dash, next to kick panel, it is a blue connector , possibly wrapped in blue tape , it has 2 wires going to it, jump those wires , turn the key on and count the blinks

long blink = 10

short blink = 1

Hi sorry for the late reply, I have been extremely busy. So I jumped the connector and got 9 flashes. I am not sure if they were short or long, but they were all the same.

Thanks for the help guys!

Hi sorry for the late reply, I have been extremely busy. So I jumped the connector and got 9 flashes. I am not sure if they were short or long, but they were all the same.

Thanks for the help guys!

So after doing some research I figured out the code (9) was the car saying the speed sensor is malfunctioning. I pulled out the TCU just to be sure that none of the resistors or capacitors were cold soldered or burned. I re-flowed a few but it didn't help.

The car still shifts but it's doing it wrong. Shifting up is about 300-1000 RPM higher than usual and when shifting down at about 40-55KM/h it shifts down to first. Shifting too early. Which I feel the pull of the car from the shift. I am looking at getting a new speed sensor soon.

I guess my question is could the speed sensor be responsible for just a drastic change? And is there anyone that has a diagram or has done the sensor change before? Is it difficult?

Thanks,

Archived