need help

a2lowhonda

ok i have a few races ligned up in a coule of weeks at the drag strip in jackson and i am wanting to replace the rodbearings since i am having to replace the oil pan due to stupiditiy on my part for slamming the car almost as far as it would go on adjustable coilovers so how hard is it to do or do yall know an easier way to do it? better yet please tell me i can do it with the motor in the car i have a 91 honda accord with the f22 motor in it

yes engine can stay in car. take oil pan off , undo your rod caps and keep bolts that go with each in order(have to go back in same spot). remove old bearings from caps. using rubber or wood mallet , tap pistons up away from crank enough to take bearings out of rods and check them all for scoring and such. if any are real bad than check the crank journal where that one was located. it your crank is scored too bad youl need to get a new crank or get yours lathed and smidgen oversized bearings for it. im sure youl be fine. replace bearings in rods with new ones (making sure there in properly of course). they have a little cut at one end , make sure its lined up with little cuts on rod and rod cap. reach up with both hands and grab piston rod and pull it back down till it mates with crank again. replace rod caps where they came from , find torque specs for an F22(cant find em at the moment) , prolly within the 25-35 ft/lbs. start at middle and work out. once all torqued and happy with it , using ratchet turn engine over and check if its dragging at all. if not reinstall oil pan and fire it up. put new oil in it and make sure your easy on it for a 1000 km or 500 miles than change oil . looking at this again i should have mentioned to use lithium grease coat on each bearing when in place for startup lube and also rotate engine while crank is exposed and clean out oil holes in journals carefully with pipe cleaners.

Archived