head unit works fine but no sound

i've got my factory head unit in my 99 civic ex. its the single compact disc with am/fm and antitheft crap and "premium" sound. i've got a 460 watt amp and 300 watt sub wired to it. everything has been working fine for a while now. earlier today i was rocking out then there was a click and everything was quiet. the radio was still on, the amp was on and not overheating, i could still hear the cd spinning in the player and it said it was still playing. i played with the volume and every other button you could think of, checked all fuses, removed the head unit and checked the wiring, reset the radio, everything looked fine. BUT, when i pulled the radio out and grabbed the metal backing i nearly burnt the skin off my hand. i figiured that it overheated and needed a chance to cool, so after about 30 min with vent blowing over the radio i put it all back together and it still doesn't work. i dunno what the hell is wrong and its pissing me off. i'm really close to having enough money for a new head unit but in the mean time i really want to listen to music. HELP!!!!

so basically you suddenly hear a "click" and then what happened? No sound? radio is working but no sound?? try ejecting it and put in another disc and see if there is sound.

if your radio is still reading the disc but no sound then i assume it has to do with the wiring. see if there are any loose wires. radio gets hot, its normal. i dont know if you saying your skin was about to come off is an exageration but a hot radio is normal. super duper hot, where your meat is exposed, you have a problem lol

thats known as blown outputs my friend. and if you didnt blow the outputs in the deck , you maybe burnt a ground inside the deck. it can be fixed dude. but not as easy as buying a new head unit.

yeah i was exagerating but it was still pretty hot. not something i wanted to hold onto for any length of time. there is no sound at all, i tried different cd's and radio stations. it said that the cd or station was playing normally but there was no sound. and the wiring looked fine unless its something in the unit like cranny said. would i be able to fix that myself with some direction or is that something i should leave to a paid tech? since i'm replacing the head unit in about 2 weeks is it even worth it? how the hell did i even blow the outputs? it was working fine and i've pushed it harder than that plenty of times before, or was this just the final straw that broke the camels back?

have you ever saudered on little circuit boards and know where to find the parts on them?? if not id say no than wouldnt you , haha , just kiddin man , kind of , lol. ive fixed 2 decks lately , my own which was powering on and off while driving , took it apart after realizing it wasnt wiring issue and deck isnt new , found like 8 broken joint on the board , fixed them , there easy ones. my buddies car last nite ironically , the display stopped lighting up couldnt see it anymore. took it apart , same thing , like 6 broken joints. fixed it works again. but taking parts out of the board and reinstalling them is touchier. finding them sometimes blows too.

do it up dude , you can prolly fix it. you can tell when resisters are fried cause they blacken. and other pieces burst at the top , round cylinders that stick up. so on.

• 5 weeks later...

bought a new unit. pioneer, 200 watt, pre amp hookups, etc... works great. word of advice for anyone that doesn't already now, use the preamp hookups. i still had the rear speaker wires spliced to the amp the with the extra power from the new unit it would shut off cuz the wires were too small to handle the load.

which causes what? blown outputs , haha. grounds not big enough will do it , running the amp at too high a load or speakers too low of resistance will do it.

Archived