HELP! subs acting weird

we just wired my friends JL sub into his scion. ive done many systems so its not like i have no clue what im doing. everything works fine, good ground, amp turns on, and the sub plays. but it seems like the sub is not getting full power. its always working but it cuts in and out, from what it seems to full power, then to very little. anyone know what it could be? the amp is always on so the ground is good. the sub has 2 voice coilovers and is wired in parallel. we tuned the amp and everything so its not something on that. anyone seen this before?

too thin wire? I had a similar problem with my last system. I just went back and soldered every connection and grounded it directly to the battery. even if you ground it to the chassis in the trunk, it still has a long way to go to get to the engine bay. try regrounding it to the battery. maybe the rca cables are shot too.

there can be many reasons why its cutting out. ive dealt with a similar problem before in a piece of crap gm car. check everything. if you have anohter pair of rcs's araound somewere plug thm in. or try a differnt spot for the ground. also, are you using sepereate grouds for everything? it could also be a problem somewere along the power wire (pinched or near rca's) . i would just trace all your steps and you should find the problem

• 3 weeks later...

I'm prolly preachin to the choir, but make your ground wire as short as possible. Yes, the ground has a long way to travel through the chasis, but the chasis is a much bigger highway for the current to travel than a small wire. I always use 4ga for anything power related.

Also, I typically beef up the battery's ground. Take a 4ga wire and ground to another spot in the engine bay (in addition to the normal car's ground wires). This works well. You might have luck with a capacitor to help regulate the large power draws of lower frequencies.

Good luck.

caps store energy in them so when a deep bass note hits you have enough power to complete the whole bass note instead of it cutting out, they also help with lights dimming.

the problem with the sub could be the sub itself not just the wireing. its happened to me a few times. take the sub out and check the wires that go from the voice coils to the speaker wire connectors. they could be loose and almost breaking off which would cause the sub to cut in and out only when the wire happens to touch where it is supposed to be soldered. it could also be internal meaning you cant see that it is disconnected but that doesnt happen often. since it is dual voice coil im thinking that is the problem because you say it cuts out but you can still hear it and then it cuts back in to full power. sounds like one of your voice coils isnt getting a connection 100% of the time. also check the connections at the amp. maybe they loosened a little. good luck

we figured out the problem a lil while ago. we checked the rca cables coming out of the back. the stock headunit didnt have them so we had to splice them on. we started adjusting the levels of the R and L cables, and the cheap screw things came out. so making a long story short, we unplugged the cables, then i tried it with just one cable plugged in...and my next car will have a JL sub because that thing hits so hard now. kinda weird that it works with just one rca cable, but its perfect

it works with only one RCA cable , cause you have it running mono. one cable for each side. so if you have one sub its mono. if its a 2 channel amp bridged , its mono. most guys that run subs just buy a monoblock now.

Archived