91 sometimes wont start

jwebb91

Ok I've only had this car for 3 weeks and it wouldn't start for me twice this week and it did it once 3 days after I got it. It try's to turn over but it just wont fire up, the other day when it happened i held down the gas when I turned the key and it started, but today I tried that again and it didnt work, I kept trying for about 15 minutes and just sat there and waited about a half an hour and tried it again and it turned over, this is also what happened the first time it did it weeks ago.

The is a 2 dr ex 2.2, with 128,000 miles on it, I have all the service records for it and I haven't noticed anything for any major repairs, besides the timing belt/water pump at 80,000 and then the distributor, not sure when.

I'm leaning towards fuel filter/pump, or maybe dist./plugs/wires, I also haven't seen anything saying the o2 sensors have been replaced, could that be it? The only reason I don't think it's the fuel pump is because once it starts it runs no problem, so if the pump was gone it would just be dead, but who knows.

And also once in awhile at idle at a light or something the rpm's will drop real low, like 350/400 but it wont stall.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Ok I've only had this car for 3 weeks and it wouldn't start for me twice this week and it did it once 3 days after I got it. It try's to turn over but it just wont fire up, the other day when it happened i held down the gas when I turned the key and it started, but today I tried that again and it didnt work, I kept trying for about 15 minutes and just sat there and waited about a half an hour and tried it again and it turned over, this is also what happened the first time it did it weeks ago.

The is a 2 dr ex 2.2, with 128,000 miles on it, I have all the service records for it and I haven't noticed anything for any major repairs, besides the timing belt/water pump at 80,000 and then the distributor, not sure when.

I'm leaning towards fuel filter/pump, or maybe dist./plugs/wires, I also haven't seen anything saying the o2 sensors have been replaced, could that be it? The only reason I don't think it's the fuel pump is because once it starts it runs no problem, so if the pump was gone it would just be dead, but who knows.

And also once in awhile at idle at a light or something the rpm's will drop real low, like 350/400 but it wont stall.

Thanks,

J

Be sure that you're getting fire at the plug. The old way to do it was to pull a plug wire from the block (leaving the plug in the hole) and hold the plug wire over an iron ground to see if spark arc-ed. If you've no indication that the plugs have never been changed, that's a good place to begin. Since 128K miles: maybe oil is seeping into the distributor and preventing good spark. That's known to happen as there's a seal in the back of the Dist. that goes directly into the cam area. They get old/dry out and allow seepage. Maybe the distributor contacts are carboned up/oily, and/or the rotor's 'swipe' may have caboned edges and preventing enough charge to pass from distributor to rotor. Maybe the coil-pack in the distributor is weak. Try the easy fixes first, since they'll need (should) to be done anyway (plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter).

ok, thx, few more things to add to the to check list, and I planned on doing a tune up this weekend, so plugs wires and wires would be replaced, as far as the seapage into the distr. it was replaced not to long ao so i would think the seals should be pretty new, but i will check.

thanks for the quick replies.

J

• 2 weeks later...
I've been having similar problems... Is your tach also beying weird? I've heard it might be the coil...

I have the same prob with my '90 Accord(140k miles)..not anything happening with the TACH...it happens once in a while but it is very annoying. if you find out what fixes this prob let us know... thanks

I have the same prob with my '90 Accord(140k miles)..not anything happening with the TACH...it happens once in a while but it is very annoying. if you find out what fixes this prob let us know... thanks

I was just looking through more of this forum and think I found what looks like the answer the Main FuelRealy.. kastigir had alraedy mentioned this relay in this thread......see the attached:

Well I went to dealership and asked for a fuel pump type relay. They asked me if the car was intermitently starting lol. I said yep so I bought a new one for $63 Geez. I guess it's some kind of main relay what they said. They told me exactly where to find the thing so I climbed up under there, took out the cruse control box and it was up above it. Pain in the azz to get to but there she was. I yanked er out and put in the new one and it fired right up been good for a couple days now. I'll see what happens for the long run.

i had a similar problem with my car. after taking it to my mechanic (not the honda dealership) i found out that the problem was that the solenoids in my starter had worn down due to age. its a ten minute fix that costs only 5 dollars.

if your still getting that starter problem, you may want to look at into this, my problem sounds very similar to yours

i had a similar problem with my car. after taking it to my mechanic (not the honda dealership) i found out that the problem was that the solenoids in my starter had worn down due to age. its a ten minute fix that costs only 5 dollars.

if your still getting that starter problem, you may want to look at into this, my problem sounds very similar to yours

Wha??

It's not the starter, the engine turns over perfectly but it doesn't ignite..

• 4 weeks later...

You may have the Ignition WIRE checked. Wire from the Key switch to the fuse box I had this trouble. When you started the car it would turn over but nothing else would happen, check gauges if they stay on after releasing the key from starting engine this won't be your problem.

Thanks,

J

Archived