Question about ground switch and relays

CleanGSR

My remote has wire I can hook up to control an auxillary item. I was planning on hooking this up so I could roll down my windows with my remote, but ran into a problem. The power window switch is a power switch (i.e. completes a power "bridge" to control the unit). My alarm sends out a ground pulse to hook up to a ground switch (i.e. completes a ground "bridge" to control the unit). Is there any way to send the ground pulse through a relay that will then send out a power? If not does anybody have any ideas on how I can somehow make this work? My remote works from a long ways off and I could be airing out the car for over 30 seconds before I get to it, which would cool it off a lot. Black car w/ black leather in direct sunlight all day equal one hot S.O.B.

cool let me know, cause I've drawn a blank and can't think of a way to make it work.

You know, if I could get a relay that was controlled by a ground instead of power then that would solve my problems. Then I could run a power through the relay and the ground would open the relay to bridge the connection. I've never seen a relay controlled by a ground though and am not sure if that's even possible.

if you can hold the button down, and it sends out a solid "negative" charge, then yes you can do it easily. (my aux one does...but my locks send out 1 pulse)

anyway thats a simple one.... basically if you are using a "bosch" style relay, you connect your imput negative to either terminal 85 or 86, then a constant ground to the other one. then you take a hot constant positive source (fused!) and connect that to either 87 or 30, then run a lead to your windows from the other post. leave 87a open. should work like a charm.

now if you want to change a pulse into a constant for a set ammoun of seconds....thats a bit harder to work with, it deals with capicitors and such, and i think 2 relays.....lot of guess work/playing around.

Thanks for the reply. I actually already figured this out earlier tonight. This is how I set it up.

Constant Power coming through 87, a constant power on 86 (the switched power) the switched ground from the alarm to 85 (the ground on the relay). Since the relay requires both a power on 86 and a ground on 85 to complete the connection from the power source (87) through the relay, setting it up this way means that everything on the relay is setup except the ground which is completed when I hit the button on the remote, finishing the connection on the relay and opening the relay to let the power through.

I set this up with a relay that I have and ran into a problem. The relay got really hot really fast and almost burned up. So, I obviously don't have a big enough relay to power the power window motors. Any advice on what size relay to get to handle this?

I don't know what size. It's in the garage and I don't feel like walking out there. I know it wasn't a very big relay, I was planning to use it for a hidden fuel cutoff switch, so it didn't need to be very big.

Archived