'97 honda a/c issue

misterstine

I have a 1997 Honda Accord Ex 4cy v-tec engine. The A/C went out after having the motor mounts replaced. My question is with a severe vibration from bad mounts cause issues with the compressor clutch? I have had people tell that it will mess up the alignment a bit and come cause issues with the transmission and even the compressor clutch. It feels odd since I replaced the mounts the mechanic mention to me how my a/c was low and may need to be serviced. Anyway I ignored it because I thought he was trying make a buck and tested the A/C and it was working fine. Now it is hot as blazes and the A/C doesn't work. I took it to Oil Can Henry's to replace the freon and it had freon still in the system. They evacuated the system and filled again no luck. He told me the clutch isn't kicking in like it should and checked the fuses and they were good. I could tell since the engine didn't rev harder or work harder like it use to. Dag man now I got to fix another thing. So far this summer I have replaced the radiator, lower and upper hoses,thermostat, starter, and tires. I need a break. Any help is greatly appreciated. bleh

• 10 months later...

If your A/C clutch does not engage, there are several sources for this problem.

1) The compressor doesn’t know it is time to engage. Check the temp sensor.

2) The compressor knows it is time to engage, but cannot.

2a) The compressor clutch cannot physically engage. Check pulley movement for smoothness.

2b) The compressor clutch does not receive any voltage. Check relays and switches.

2c) The compressor clutch receives voltage, but not enough. Check grounds and harnesses.

2d) The compressor clutch can receive enough voltage, but the compressor will not allow it turn on in order to save itself. Check pressure in system, as high pressure will prevent operation.

Logic Check. What part of the system is most likely to fail? The part that works the hardest and which is located in the harshest of conditions. Compressor, in the engine bay. Relays, under the dash. Think about it before you lay down cash. Even if you do not make the repair yourself, at least you will be able to tell if you’re being taken for a ride at the auto shop.

So will a bad relay cause the system to fail? Maybe, but wouldn’t it be more likely that the clutch is physically unable to do its job since it sits next to the exhaust manifold and constantly switches on and off, possibly.

Remember, the clutch is the physical mechanism that engages the compressor. It operates under the control of DC switches and electromagnets. The electromagnets are prone to failure since they are constructed from long thin windings of wire sealed inside a component called the field coil.

Archived