Do your chain hang low?

90 has an engine swap thread so I figured I would start a trans swap thread. Trans is shipping tomorrow morning. Since I have to pay off the ticket, I need to wait till monday (pay day) to order the flywheel. Found one for 160 bucks! Was a steal. Genuine fidanza 7.5 lb aluminium flywheel. Since I can't drive and I work 2 miles from home, I'll probably drop the trans, clutch and flywheel out tomorrow and just leave it all undone till the flywheel gets here and just ride my bicycle to work. Will take pictures of the ghetto ass install. (No torque wrenches/engine hoists/ball joint seperators will be used in this swap!)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(No torque wrenches/engine hoists/ball joint seperators will be used in this swap!)

You will def need a torque wrench, seriously. When do you get your license back ?

I was thinking of renting one from autozone or something... I go to court the 26th of september ie- my birthday...

f*ck I need a 12 point socket for the flywheel bolts too. And grease. I forgot about those items. What size are the flywheel bolts?

Flywheel bolts are a 12 point 17. You are going to need a ball joint seperator to take apart the suspension. They are not expensive. Impact definately comes in handy for those flywheel bolts. That way you dont have to hold the other side on, and those bolts are really frackin tight.

Yeeeeaaa I had to put another tranny in my eclipse without all that crap........yea......you might want to check into getting the torque wrench and a ball joint seperator

it definitely made my life hell under that car

course im like 5'9" and weigh like 145 so.....not that big of a guy......but BREAKER BARS SURE CAME IN HANDY!!!!

It will take a couple days for it to ship...

You need a torque wrench.

You don't need a ball joint seperator.

Use a prybar to hold the flywheel (using a bellhousing bolt in the block as leverage).

• 3 weeks later...

My teacher gave me the okay to do the trans/flywheel swap in our shop at college. He said as long as I donate the HX trans and HX flywheel I can do my swap. Should make life a lot easier. Now if SSR would ship the damn thing already!!!!!! I guess he found a crack in the casing and it was causing shifting problems. I hate waiting for this thing. It's almost been three months! Ahhh!

Regardless- That is going to look so sick in my engine bay. I am going to start the swap whenever I don't feel lazy. I have two big weeks ahead of me (personal stuff) so after that I'll swap it in there. Also I still need to get some grease, trans fluid, 10 mm 12 point, 17 mm 12 point, and torque wrench. I'll probably get a ball joint seperator too just so I don't break one of my ratchets lol.

Edit- A concern I have is the wood shavings from the pallet. I think some got into the diff and the VSS hole. I'm going to do a thorough flush before I put her in...

what would look cool is if you painted the block red and it connected with the black, different look in the engine bay.

I was thinking of doing something like that to my engine before I put it in a rex... since im gonna have it out for a while...

Im gonna clean it up with a steam cleaner the best i can and than figure something out from there...

Rest in peace Transmission....

My little cousin thought it would be funny to pick up the transmission. He dropped it and now there is a HUGE crack in the casing. God that would suck if that really happened... Mods please don't lock cuz I said that lol. I still wanna post pics of the progress. Murrays loans out pickle forks for 40 bucks and torque wrenches for 50 bucks. I bought a 12 pt 17 MM socket and a 12 pt 10 MM today for the flywheel bolts and clutch bolts.

Archived