91 Accord speedometer is dead

Epsilon7

The speedometer in my 91 accord doesn't work. It seems to kick back on again after I've been driving for about 1 hour (I deliver pizza with it), but even then the speedometer will still jump a bit, like it's losing it's reading.

Also, whenever it's not working, the green Sport light will start blinking.

Obviously the odometer doesn't work either, and neither does the cruise.

Besides this, the car runs fine.

I'm fairly new to car repairs, is there anything I can do without having to take it into the dealer?

The speedometer in my 91 accord doesn't work. It seems to kick back on again after I've been driving for about 1 hour (I deliver pizza with it), but even then the speedometer will still jump a bit, like it's losing it's reading.

Also, whenever it's not working, the green Sport light will start blinking.

Obviously the odometer doesn't work either, and neither does the cruise.

Besides this, the car runs fine.

I'm fairly new to car repairs, is there anything I can do without having to take it into the dealer?

Sounds like the speed sensor is the problem. It is located on the transmission over by the thermostat. It will take you about 30 minutes to replace and the part cost's about $115.00. To verify that it is a faulty speed sensor check to see if your cruise control works. If your cruise control does not operate it is definetly a speed sensor.

haha , he should have an engine light so theres no need to even try cruise control. thats what the engine light is for. to take the trial and error and guess work out of it

yeah this speedometer component is faulty bigtime on honda makes after 80K miles. my 96 honda accord ex has 118K now and this component sometimes surges like a voltage meter or won't work for a bit. i use to own an 86 prelude and this car did the same thing. it finally went on me and i had to get a new cable. even when i had the cable replaced it still surged or didn't work consistently. this is a strange phenomenon.

i know i am going to have to replace my cable on this car soon. good grief!

Archived