Horrible city fuel economy!!!

jagalag

Ok, here's the problem, I am driving this thing around town and It is full of gas the night before, my wife takes it about 2 miles from our house to work the next day, I run a few errands the same day after work in the same car, approx. 5 to 6 miles, next day I drive it to work and back, about 86 miles, and now I am at half a tank.... WTF???

I just bought this 01 ex from a upper midwestern state where there is a lot of humidity from the big lakes. I live in the central midwest. I did notice a lot of rust and corrosion around a lot of the bolts in the engine bay, and the joint clamp between the muffler and post cat tube is perforated with rust. I don't know if there is perhaps some rust around the fuel lines that might be causing a small leak? anyone help me out here... I know I am going to change the plugs, but should I try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer?

Ok, here's the problem, I am driving this thing around town and It is full of gas the night before, my wife takes it about 2 miles from our house to work the next day, I run a few errands the same day after work in the same car, approx. 5 to 6 miles, next day I drive it to work and back, about 86 miles, and now I am at half a tank.... WTF???

I dunno how many miles you drove total. I personally keep track of how much gas I put in each time I get gas, and write down the mileage I'm currently at, in a little book I keep in the glove box. That way, I can check my gas mileage between any two times I got gas. Right now, my 01 LX coupe is getting about 34 mpg, and over 400 miles per tank, because my tank is 13.1 gal, I believe.

If you drove 2+6+86=94 miles for a half a tank, you're getting less than half the mileage you should be, I believe. Get it checked out soon!!!

I dunno how many miles you drove total. I personally keep track of how much gas I put in each time I get gas, and write down the mileage I'm currently at, in a little book I keep in the glove box. That way, I can check my gas mileage between any two times I got gas. Right now, my 01 LX coupe is getting about 34 mpg, and over 400 miles per tank, because my tank is 13.1 gal, I believe.

If you drove 2+6+86=94 miles for a half a tank, you're getting less than half the mileage you should be, I believe. Get it checked out soon!!!

yeah thats what i do too. usually you can smell the gas if its leaking, or see a spot underneath the car when you move it. but deff. get that checked

yeah thats what i do too. usually you can smell the gas if its leaking, or see a spot underneath the car when you move it. but deff. get that checked

you know what ive noticed, with almost every honda ive ever driven. using my car as an example. i can drive approx 315 - 330 miles in my sol on a full tank of 92, the tanks 11.9 gallons. so ill drive my car around, on my full tank of gas, ill look at it, and ill be at like 100 miles and ill be nearing a 3/4 of a tank. 200 miles, ill be at 1/2 a tank. but it seems that once im at half a tank, gravity posseses my fuel gauge and i would have gotten 100 miles on the 1/2 of tank of gas that i had left. ive noticed similar findings on almost all hondas ive ever driven. but never any other car... weird eh?

yeah same thing happens to me sonnyjc....

ill commute to school, which is 15 miles to and from, and between monday and thursday im still over a half tank. friday comes and i finally dip below on the drive to school, then on the drive home im almost empty....sucks so f*cking much.

Wow...

I didn't know I wasn't the only one with bad fuel economy, does anyone have any explanations as to why it could be happening?

oh with the gas guage not being consistant? well you know, all hondas are built the same, they just look differently so maybe there's a problem with the original design. and over the years they only thing theyve changed was the look.

Archived