2004 V6 Accord Auto Trans CLUNK

Navision

Car was bought new in Feb of 2004 , now approximately 34K miles of normal freeway/surface street driving . About 3 weeks ago I noticed a fairly loud metallic clunk coming from somewhere in front, only happens when shifting from Drive to Reverse (dead stop of course). Other Shifting, Downshifting and all that seens to be normal and crisp. Took to dealer and they wound up replacing the transmission (Honda rebuilt, not new).

Got the car back, but one week later same noise. Took back again, they replaced transmission control unit (new), then replaced transmission again (rebuilt I am sure)! Just got back yesterday, still makes same noise.

Now they tell me that this is normal. When I suggested that we get in a new Accord and check it out I was told that '05 and '06 Accords don't do this, just '03 and '04. When I asked "How come my car didnt make this noise when I bought it, they said when they are new everything is 'overtight' and once it gets fully broken in is when you heard the 'normal' noise. Last time I shaved I didn't see STUPID tattooed on my forehead.......

Is this BS or what ?.

The noise to me sounds like older cars when there is a lot of driveline play, but it only happens shifting from Drive to Reverse, not the other way. Anyone with an '03 or newer V6 Auto Accord - I'd be very interested to know if your car does anything like this and what your experiences have been. Seems like there is a lot of transmission concerns on the Honda boards, especially V6 Autos.

I'm also wondering what peoples experience has been dealing directly with Honda's Home Office.

Thanks

Sorry to say dude but, you wasted your money. My car has been doing the same thing for 1500 miles and nothing major has happened yet. Idk, maybe it is bad. But you definately made the mistake of going through 2 trannys to find nothing.

correct me if i'm wrong

btw, i have a '95 accord lx w/ 114,500 miles appox.

just stop sending it back theres nothing wrong with your car.

Let me get this straight, your car is almost 10 years older than mine and has been making that noise for 1500 miles, approximately 1 percent of its current mileage, and from this I should conclude that there is nothing wrong with my car ?

well yes because its under warranty. that's a good reason. and also, nothing has changed each time you've replaced the tranny. so that's another good reason. and my car has been making that noise for the whole time i've had it, which is 500 miles and i can with confidence that it was making that noise well before my parents bought it for me.

Archived