Oil in plug area?

fcarruth

I am not a Honda guy but do minor work on my wife's 1996 Honda Accord with a 2.2l 4 cylinder. A couple of years ago, I replaced the plugs and found that there was oil in one of the plug areas. I read on here about the valve cover gasket and replaced that. Head looked OK with no cracks. I just replaced plugs again last night and now there is oil in both center plug areas (2&3). Plugs don't look bad either. Once started, it smoked as I thought it would and then ran perfectly as it always does. Could a clogged catalytic converter cause this or am I in more deep poop on this one? I have not checked head presure or anything other than just observations.

Thanks for any help that you guys can send my way.

Frank

Stupid question. How do I access this? Do I act as if I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and get to it that way or what? Sorry for this question but I work on my Bronco religiously but this Honda is a different demon to me right now.

Thanks for helping.

Frank

:-" you need to replace the spark plug tube gasket, which is a circular rubber gasket that fits on the underside of each spark plug inside the valve cover. hope this helps.

I believe there are 4 nuts that you need to take off to get the valve cover off. first take out all the spark plugs, then take off the valve cover and turn it over and you should see the gaskets in question. Go to the autoparts store and buy a haynes manual, it gives you pics on how to do this. the gaskets aren't very expensive, but buy a new valve cover gasket and a tube of silicone, and apply it at the gasket corners, because the are known to leak.

same as replacing valve cover gasket , only this time put 4 new rubber plug rings in it. either that , or clean them real good and puta little gasket maker in the grooves of the cover before placing rings back in them , than reinstall cover.

If I remember right, there are 4 grommets also for the bolts. I would recommend changing them as well. They are only about $5 for a set and it will help to prevent leaks. I used to have a Geo Metro that had the same type of bolt/grommet combinations and it leaked like crazy when I forgot to change the grommets one time.

Thanks for the info guys. I replaced the valve cover gasket last year before I found this site. :( Anyway, I am going to splurge and buy another gasket kit and do it all right as well as some silicone and see what happens. I bought the rubber plug gaskets at Honda for less than $20.00 for the set of 4.

Thanks for helping again.

Frank

not the grommets usually but the plug rings are though.

Every gasket kit I've bought has. It's probably the one part where I think aftermarket is better than OEM. Fel-pro FTW!

dont put gasket maker on the part that seats to head. just gasket maker the new gasket and rings into the grooves after there so clean you can eat out of them.

Not totally correct. You have to put a little bit on the corners where the cover goes up to accomodate the cam(s). Little bit of Hondabond and you're golden.

Archived