F22A vs. H22A

F22Raven

Aiight. I came on here a while ago and I asked if I should rebuild my F22 or invest in an H22. Everyone told me H22. I've done some research and found that I could swap my head out for that of an older Accord (Gen. 90-93). My motor would then be an F22A1 and DOHC. Should I even bother with this?

yeah thats wat hes sayin 90. i thought about doin this when i had a 94 accord but for all the time and effort youll put into it you might as well just get the H22 and swap it in. it far less of a pain in the ass.

sure you can put a dohc head ona sohc block. i have a friend that did that on his dodge daytona. its ALOT of work though I'd just do the engine swap

what year was his daytona? all the sohc motors were v6's after 1987 weren't they?

you can put a dohc neon motor in it though.

I've never read about doing a f22 with a h22 head myself, but it is a common topic of conversation to use an f23a1 bottom end and putting in a h22/23 head. The whole point was the f23 engines are super cheap, and if you tore it up, then it could easily be replaced. It hasn't happened a whole lot as far as I can tell though, because most guys give up before its done. I've seen, maybe 2 or 3 actually done. On another forum, there is a guy getting ready to complete his. For the amount of time and fabrication needed, most consider it to not be worth it. An H22 swap would definately be cleaner and easier.

For the F23, I THINK it's because it can handle more psi on a turbo build... There is probably another reason too, that I can't think of right off hand. You would still have to re-sleeve and everything, but I think the gains simply by going from SOHC to DOHC don't warrant the swap either, although I'm sure there is some...

Here is the explanation of why the guy doing the F23/H23 frankenstein is doing what he's going. And they're called G23's if anyone is interested:

1. The H23 head is cheaper, and raises the compression slightly, plus a set of Delta regrinds were very cheap. I rode in a f22/h23 hybrid with stock cams and the difference is like night and day(dont underestimate it). Plus later on this will turn into a boost project. The H22 head requires a little more fabrication to make it work properly, Vtec rules the top end, yes, but if i were to use the h22 head on the f23 block with stock pistons, it wil only yeld 8:3 compression due to the h22 head clearence, which would still be better than sohc f23, but wouldnt yeild high results unless i purchased k20 pistsons to bump it up.

2. Estimated Hp.......around 170hp

3. The F23 has a longer stroke than the H23, which means its capable of more low end torque, and with a 2900 lb accord you need all the torque you can get.

4.To answer your 4th question, the F23/h22 hybrid in allmotor form is only more potent than the h22 if you use aftermarket pistons or swap some k20 pistons that would yeild around 11:7. The low end will be great, but the top end will not be as strong because of the lower redline and low compression. But with higher compression, the G23vtec would be a street killer, in my opinion. In all motor, there is no replacement for displacment.

5. Good question, the Uberdata engine managment software will be utilized to tune my G23 hybrid. I have everything I need in terms of hardware and Antonie aka "MRX" from Fl will be tuning my car. Uberdata is just like Hondata but a whole lot more user friendly

And, I notice he does mention riding in an f22/h22 hybrid, so it must be possible.:thumbsup:

theres no such thing as a DOHC f22a the f22b is DOCH VTEC though.. i wouldnt recommend it

H22 is a good motor, better than any f22. that is if you are looking for boost.

then f22b1 is the better motor for going turbo.

it was a 91 daytona with the V6 I'm not sure what the heads were from maybe a stealth or something
nope.. is a C32 DOHC NSX heads and the block was C35 SOHC RL. with a 6 speed CL transmission, using RL axles and NSX ECU tuned on a 93-95 KA8 LEGEND

well.. homie of mine is tellin me a lot. I trust him. He says single cam motors are better for boost. They handle the pressure better. I researched the h22 and found more horse power gain... thats why I asked. I might try that f20b idea...

dont let solles hear you talkin about SC unless it all positive.... LOL

yeah they do tend to float valves... alot.. you can def hear it in my car when i spin the revs up to about 6800

Archived