Who owned my car?

Huffa

I am the third owner and bought my car from a dealer. Is there any way to tell from the car VIN # who owned the car before me?

My wife insists that there probably is a way, I insist there is not. If there was, buyers would be calling the previouse owners asking all sorts of questions because of ignorant dealers not knowing the history of it. That is all part of the reason people trade their cars in, because they don't want to deal with it what so ever any more.

This question stems from me not knowing a 100% if the timing belt was ever replaced. The dealer insists (they could be lieing) they tried calling her and won't get a return call from her. I just don't get it, :mad2: all they had to do is ASK when the car was traded in ?? You would think that would be a major selling point ??

I honestly hate buying used cars from dealers as they all lie from the experiences I have found but these Accord wagons are hard to come buy and it was a pretty good deal. If I only knew about the timing belt - waterpump etc, it would go from a pretty good deal to a really great deal.

car fax is the crap when it comes to finding things out about your car.

I agree. Carfax won't be of any help concerning the timing belt and they only know what has been reported to them. The car could of had 2,3,4,5000 or what ever worth of body damage done to it and if it's not reported, Carfax won't know.

That Carfax can be good for some things (I'd never trust it though) but the best knowledge of info to gain from a used car is buying a one owner job.

Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold. I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises. Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis."

what a damn retard.....

Yoe Hatch ............This just can't be, no one can be THAT STUPID, can they ????

I am the third owner and bought my car from a dealer. Is there any way to tell from the car VIN # who owned the car before me?

My wife insists that there probably is a way, I insist there is not. If there was, buyers would be calling the previouse owners asking all sorts of questions because of ignorant dealers not knowing the history of it. That is all part of the reason people trade their cars in, because they don't want to deal with it what so ever any more.

This question stems from me not knowing a 100% if the timing belt was ever replaced. The dealer insists (they could be lieing) they tried calling her and won't get a return call from her. I just don't get it, :mad2: all they had to do is ASK when the car was traded in ?? You would think that would be a major selling point ??

I honestly hate buying used cars from dealers as they all lie from the experiences I have found but these Accord wagons are hard to come buy and it was a pretty good deal. If I only knew about the timing belt - waterpump etc, it would go from a pretty good deal to a really great deal.

Carfax is the way to go. Although its not going to tell you exactly who owned it, it will tell you how many owners and where the car was owned (or at least registered).

Carfax is the way to go. Although its not going to tell you exactly who owned it, it will tell you how many owners and where the car was owned (or at least registered).

Well that's nice to know but it really does not help out in my situation one bit.

How many owners really does not mean squat to me either. A car could have 4 or 5 owners and be in better shape then a one owner job. More then likely a one owner job is more attractive buy far when buying but I never weighed that in very much when it comes right down to it.

Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold. I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises. Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis."

what a damn retard.....

Yoe Hatch ............This just can't be, no one can be THAT STUPID, can they ????

When they do that professionally they don't run the car! They take all the piping OFF the car and use a big machine to blast it through. You will be very lucky if you haven't seriously f'd up your engine.

When they do that professionally they don't run the car! They take all the piping OFF the car and use a big machine to blast it through. You will be very lucky if you haven't seriously f'd up your engine.

haha, he didnt do it. there was a post a while ago about how someone else did this. read it and youlls ee that he mentions an audi. and when the typing goes bold, youll see that thats him laughing at the people who did it. you know what though, i went to get gas the other day. and this pump had a diesel pump, and i almost grabbed the diesel pump by accident, and i started thinking about what i would have to do if i pumped my car full of diesel. idk what i would have done if i would have done that. like. really.

and this pump had a diesel pump, and i almost grabbed the diesel pump by accident, and i started thinking about what i would have to do if i pumped my car full of diesel. idk what i would have done if i would have done that. like. really.

You'd drain your tank and then your car would smoke a lot :thumbsup: lol...

Archived