NOOB WITH A QUESTION

Stag

OK. I have a '97 accord 4dr LX w/a f22a1 and an automatic tranny. I'm triing to build ether a f22/h22 frankinstien or drop a f20 into it. And I'm going to switch to a manual tranny. I know that this is not the ideal car to trick but I'm triing to be original. There is going to be some body work (body kits, lights, ect.) but for now I'm workin on the mechanics first. The goal is a quik, clean car that can keep up with STOCK 'stangs. any suggestions?

Stock mustangs are not fast. I have a 91 accord 4d, 5spd, with f22 sohc, non-vtec engine and all I have is intake, exhaust, plugs/wires, and I beat the crap out of stangs. But if you really want to do the fancy stuff, go with the f20 or h22 swap, the h22 would be better if you are doing a tranny conversion as well.

ok so the f22/h22 not a great idea but why not? and i know that the tranny is gunna be a LOT o work. bty why the jdm stuff? i'm kinda new to tuners comin from a family of big block and massive stroke engins so tuners are a little different.

also is it worth triing to soup s f22b2? i have the f22a1 now but a b2 would be cheaper to swap. i still gotta drive this beast and have plans to boost it with like a t3 or t3/t4 turbo. and thanx for the response keep 'em cumin plz

:drew:

ok so the f22/h22 not a great idea but why not? and i know that the tranny is gunna be a LOT o work. bty why the jdm stuff? i'm kinda new to tuners comin from a family of big block and massive stroke engins so tuners are a little different.

well in japan, the cars they have there are like differetn than our cars here. like with all the jdm options on cars like del sols, lmao, it makes our us versioon seem like a completely whole different car. but anywho, there are just jdm followers out tehre. they go for things like, jdm headlights, which are one piece and ours are two. they go for things like jdm fog lights, jdm bumpers, jdm parking pole, jdm seats, and theres stillll more to go. jdm cars look the same, but under close examinition their completely different.

but when it comes to engines, the jdm engines all have 5-10 hp and 5-10 more tq than usdm vehicles because of the emissions etc. some engines they use parts like rods, etc made out of better materials than they do here. also, its good to buy jdm motors because its really commonplace for them not to drive high mileage cars, which is why when you shop for jdm motors, they all have 30-40 thousand miles. so yah, jdm is the way to go.

i am only aiming for 275hp and the manual tranny. after that suspension and brakes then add some show to it. i want to throw the h22 head or @ least a DOHC V-tech f22 head on and have the ppl that now what they are doing helpin me but need suggetions for spesific parts advice. i know that this seems like i'm being stubbern but i have a general goal for this car (it just keeps shifting a little). thanx for the post hope for more.

i am only aiming for 275hp and the manual tranny. after that suspension and brakes then add some show to it. i want to throw the h22 head or @ least a DOHC V-tech f22 head on and have the ppl that now what they are doing helpin me but need suggetions for spesific parts advice. i know that this seems like i'm being stubbern but i have a general goal for this car (it just keeps shifting a little). thanx for the post hope for more.

right now i'm looking @ a h22 head w/v-tech for $120 to $200, and all i'll have to do to get it to fit it plug 2 oil lines in the bock and get the block decked a little. after that its all computer. now how much is a h22? the car isn't gunna be a straight racer just something different. how many '97 4dr LX accords do you see tricked and souped? and here is the list of upgrades to be made:

-h22 dohc v-tech head

-manual tranny (need suggestions plz)

-big brake upgade ($1200 worth, need suggestions plz)

-exaust (need suggestions plz)

-intake (possible turbo not likely to need it tho, need suggestions plz)

it has some suspension upgrades already on it will get back to you with that ltr.

after this sound and show will be the idea. thanx for the post i really apreciate the help!

:thumbsup:

sorry for the bad spelling bty, and what does this mean? "FTMFL"

thanx, not having a VTEC i keep forgeting how to spell it. :p

any way i may just swap the heads for the dohc, vtec head instead. this being the cheaper and easier option (instead of a full h22 swap) it is far more likely to happen (as opposed to playing little fantasies in my head of what i would like). bty thanx for th jargon lesson and all the help 8)

The H22 head on an F22, I'm assuming you are talking about plugging 2 oil lines in the head, not in the block. If you plug the block then you won't get any oil to the heads at all, because the stock f22 only has 2 to begin with...

I personally can't recall someone doing this conversion on a f22 bottom end. I HAVE heard of people performing it on the stock f23 bottom end, but more for the purpose that the f23 bottom ends are super cheap (I've heard as low as $300)... Anyway, the benefit isn't as much having DOHC, as the head and valve clearance is better for a block being prepared for a turbo. I forget the exact numbers, but I thought I read that the actual gains on a G23 frankenstein was around 10-15 hp... Not exactly 275. You'd be better off adding a turbo to your stock block for the money, or swapping in a H22 (which I believe is the vtec)

I also want to point out, that for a head swap like this, it very often becomes more challenging than it appears. A lot of people have tried and given up before really getting anywhere. Again, I'm referring to the G23, not a G22? which I haven't heard of. I'd double check that you aren't going to have clearance issues with your valves as well. Also, keep in mind that driving a vehicle with a DOHC on an essentially "SOHC" bottom end is not the same. For instance, you aren't going to get the oil flow into the head like you are supposed to because of the 2 plugged holes, so you have to let the engine run longer before driving to get the oil circulated, etc.

IMO, an engine swap would be far more rewarding, and take less long-term work if you want easy gains.

Archived