In Car PC

Rick B.

I just installed this computer in my friends car. Its an actual pc that can access internet, play mp3 cds, dvds, ect. everything a desktop can do. you can play video games on it. it has bluetooth capabilities so you can get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it. it also has a wireless internet adaptor for it. im planning on installing one for my car as well. here are pics and links to the computer info. it installs alot like a cd player.

this is the actual pc

PC info

Car_Computer.jpg

here is the monitor for it. fits right in the where the cd player goes.

monitor info

7__Wide_Screen_In_Dash_Touch_Screen.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i get one, it will be free. my friend has a buddy that works in a warehouse that gets them.:ph34r::thumbsup: its just the matter of him getting one for me.

if you were to buy it, it will cost a couple grand. i fixed the links so it goes straight to the manufacturer

cant make any promises other than i will talk to my friend

i vant one! i do, i do!

GSRCRX- i'm trying to send you your money asap....haven't really been working lately b/c of school, that's why i feel like a dumbhead.

No worries..

Im not buying the rex for another couple of weeks or so, dont need it until then... Even then, It might not come down to 80 bucks, I know your good for it, no rush...

If you want, you can just send me that tight gsr head and we can call it even lol.

It looks like a mini-itx. They are simple to build and you can fit them in the smallest or most random of things. I dont get why it says only up to 80 gigs of disk space though. Fat16 was 2 gigs. Fat32 is like up to 4 terabytes, and unless you're running 9x it would have to be NTFS.

It looks like a mini-itx. They are simple to build and you can fit them in the smallest or most random of things. I dont get why it says only up to 80 gigs of disk space though. Fat16 was 2 gigs. Fat32 is like up to 4 terabytes, and unless you're running 9x it would have to be NTFS.

It's a mini-itx main board, that much is obvious based simply on the fact that it isn't a full-size computer. They aren't exactly simple to build though, a lot of the parts that go into them are proprietary to the case/board design. I suppose if you had enough free time on your hands, you'd be able to build a case shell for it and order the parts indvidually... but this would be more expensive and time consuming than just ordering a prebuilt model.

It only has up to 80gb available on the pre-built models because that's all they make them up to. You could easily unscrew the case and put in a new hard drive though (They take normal 2.5" IDE hard drives).

Lastly, Fat32 does not go up to 4 terabytes. I have no idea where you drew up this number. In actuality, Fat32 supports up to 136gb. You can still format a larger HDD in Fat32 (If you desire... for Linux distributions etc that don't support the proprietary NTFS) but it will result in the 136gb limit which needs a patch to semi get around. Even then, you are more than likely to run into complications with data accuracy after you write past the 136gb mark. Oh and just because you aren't running windows 9x, doesn't mean you're on NTFS... It's really easy to install XP on a FAT32 formatted partition. It's choice #2 on the main windows install screen.:thumbsup:

Click.

Fat32 supports more than 136 man, im pretty sure about that, and when Microsoft came out with Windows NT is when they started using New Technology File System, NTFS. Yes, you CAN use FAT32 on a fresh install, but I wouldnt do it on the OS partition. The only reason I would really use FAT is to transfer between my w OS's.

Click.

Fat32 supports more than 136 man, im pretty sure about that, and when Microsoft came out with Windows NT is when they started using New Technology File System, NTFS. Yes, you CAN use FAT32 on a fresh install, but I wouldnt do it on the OS partition. The only reason I would really use FAT is to transfer between my w OS's.

If you want to get technical, Fat32 can create partitions up to 2tb provided the BIOS and OS will support it. The second limitation is in file size which is (2^32)-1, or 1 bit below 4gb.

The limitation in partition size that I am referring to (132gb, not 136... misstyped) is put in by design; Microsoft wants users to upgrade to NTFS for use with larger drives.

Essentially, a Fat32 hard drive can technically support a 2tb partition, but this will require special efforts on the user end in order to get around the 132gb limit imposed by Microsoft. One way to do it is to format the drive using windows 9x, which will allow you to create a partition larger than 132gb, and then install windows XP onto the newly formatted partition.

Oh and as a side note, Fat16's partition limit is 4gb.:thumbsup:

Waste of money IMO.

NTFS would be too much for that little computer. FAT32 will do. Plus it isn't that great of a computer. And I'll bet you can only operate it when its in park. And for power's sake I would think that it'd be wise to install a second alternator. I'll stick to my desktop thank you very much.

it doesnt have to be in park. there is a wire for the safety feature that says youre supposed to attatch it to the ebrake, but if you attatch it to a ground wire instead, you can use the computer at all times. it doesnt take much power, at most, a little more than a cd player. its actually a decent computer. my friend who has it in his car plays warcraft3 online with it without any problems. warcraft isnt the most demanding game, but it still runs nicely. also, the computer runs a gps system with a simple $20 usb plugin, it plays dvds, ect. but, everyone has their own opinion and they are entitled to it.

Yeah, Imagine that, instead or like a 4 gig Ipod, you have almost unlimited space to locally play music through your car speakers. just would suck if it got stolen. I want to build one, but mini-itc boards are expensive.

Archived