1994 accord problem

Vtecaccord

Hey guys, well my friend has a 1994 Honda Accord 2.2L automatic he just put in V-tec head in it yesterday, he also put in new spark plugs. The problem is that since he installed the V-tec the car red lines at 4,000rpms (with the V-tec on or off).

What could be causing this problem?

Sounds like the ECU has gone into limp mode... I've heard of this happening once before on a 6th gen where the ECU wasn't wired quite right, so it wasn't letting him rev above 4k. He rewired his ECU, and it fixed that problem... I'll see if I can find it, but keep in mind that the info will be for a 6th gen, not a 5th... What engine/head are you using?

Did he change his ECU? I'm pretty sure the non-v-tec ECU won't work with the v-tec one, but I'm not exactly positive on that one. If he changed the ECU with the head, he'd probably be ok I'd assume, but it certainly sounds to me like his vtec isn't being controlled, because around 4,000 RPM's is where the vtec should kick in anyway...

Ok, I have done some more research into this, and now I'm 99.9% sure he either needs to adjust his ecu, or get a new one. He should add 3 wires. Anyway, you can check out THIS link, and you should be able to find the info you need. The guy in the article was swapping a 5th gen head onto a 4th gen block, so its a little different for what he needed, but you can get an idea at least of what he should use. 99% of the stuff he should already have had (like timing belt, water pump, etc.) but the ECU is definately going to need changed, because you need to add 3 wires for the VTec Solenoid trigger, VTEC Pressure Sender, and a ground wire for the pressure sender. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh ya, he'll also need a solenoid, etc. according to another article... Here's another one, more specific for the 1994:

Click Me

are you saying he has a switch that he can flip to turn on vtec?

Yes, many people here do it the cheap way.

Ok, I have done some more research into this, and now I'm 99.9% sure he either needs to adjust his ecu, or get a new one. He should add 3 wires. Anyway, you can check out THIS link, and you should be able to find the info you need. The guy in the article was swapping a 5th gen head onto a 4th gen block, so its a little different for what he needed, but you can get an idea at least of what he should use. 99% of the stuff he should already have had (like timing belt, water pump, etc.) but the ECU is definately going to need changed, because you need to add 3 wires for the VTec Solenoid trigger, VTEC Pressure Sender, and a ground wire for the pressure sender. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh ya, he'll also need a solenoid, etc. according to another article... Here's another one, more specific for the 1994:

Click Me

Good info thanks.

Archived