'94 Accord Headlight Upgrade: Advice Needed

geoffgarcia

Hey everyone! I just moved to an area where they don't have reflectors built into the roads and I'm finding that my old stock headlamps (or cheap replacements) aren't cutting it.

I'd like to upgrade to something that is significantly better but I don't know where to begin.

Is there an upgrade over the standard housing? any models, brands, advice would be much appreciated!

I'd like to spend <200$ installed and I don't care whether they look blue, purple, green, white, yellow, black or any other color in the rainbow, I just need them to be bright (and legal!)

Thanks for any help!

Geoff

If you want the appearance of "brighter", you might want to start simply by upgrading the bulbs themselves... I've had bad luck myself with Sylvania Silverstar's (I went through about half a dozen in about 6 months), but I've personally been really happy with the (cheaper) Cool Blue's for my night driving. It's not an overly dramatic change, but for regular night driving, there is definately a big change. Keep in mind though, that the color of the light DOES make a difference. Because my lights are blue, they are great at night, but they are highly reflective in precipitation. If there is a lot of rain etc. where you are, make sure your lights have a yellower (close to stock) tint to them, because yellow/orange is the least reflective color, so they will be best for fog, etc.

Many people I know have had problems with supposed "upgrade" headlights... i.e. "Projector Headlights" or Ebay headlights are often failures, and you will increase the amount of work it takes to keep them aimed where they need to be, and often times the dispersion from left to right will be less than those of stock because it is a more focused lense...

I wouldn't normally recommend it, but if you don't already have stock fog lams, either get them and install them yourself, or just buy some good oblong style ones and aim them accordingly to where you need to see on the road. I used to keep 3 on my 93 accord (one in the center and two pointing more outwards on each side) and they were low enough and yellow enough that I could see about anything on the road, no matter when I was driving.

I would also check and make sure that your headlights are aimed properly, because often times if they're cutting short or the left/right needs adjusted, it can give you blind spots as well. Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm not necessarily knocking going for a full HID retro, but pulling it off for under $200 would, well, be unrealistic.

Archived