Need good power source

typeRaccord

For an 02 Accord you can just tap your cigareete lighter too, since it only works when the car is on. Are you looking for a 12v constant (i.e. are you going to hook it up with a separate switch to turn them on) or are you looking to have them come one, for instance when your lights are on, or when your door is open? Those are important questions to ask yourself before you start tapping wires. I used to have a neon light under my dash in my 93 accord that I had on anytime my lights were on (i.e. I tapped my parking lights), but if you only want it on when the door is open or something, you will have to wire it differently. Also, don't be afraid of running a fresh wire and installing a relay as well, because it isn't as much work as some think to do that...

For me, I would just run a new wire through your firewall (there is a rubber stopper under the driver's dash that you can pull out) and run it up to the battery. If you put in a heavier wire (10 guage or something) then you can always expand in the cabin off of it later, especially since you know where it goes. Alternatives might be the cig lighter, and there is also a 12v constant going to your radio, as well as into the fuse box. A larger one will be in your ignition wires, but some of that stuff can be touchy on how much draw you put on it. If the draw is going to be large, just put in a relay to prevent some damage to the stock wiring.

Into your stereo, there should be a White/Green wire that is hot at all times...

A White/Red wire that is hot when the car is on (or in accessory)

In your igntion, there should be a white wire that is hot at all times, and a Black/Yellow that is hot when the car is on.

Remember, even from what I'm getting, check your wires with a test kit, and be EXTREMELY careful if you are going to go the easiest route (tapping existing wires). I am taking this information from my 2000 4-cyl accord and the matching Haynes, so testing won't hurt in case they changed something, which happens. [/disclaimer]

Archived