Stuck Throttle? (1988 Accord LXi)

thinksnow

This morning, I accelerated off the ramp onto the main road where my office is located. As I slowed down for the stoplight to take a left, my engine did not drop below 2800 rpm. Crappy brakes, so I had both feet holding the car in place while waiting. Once I pulled into my spot, I put it into park and it shot up to approx. 3500 rpm. I stepped on the gas pedal and revved the engine almost to redline--then the engine settled back down to a more normal 1100 rpm (usually sits around 900 in park)

I think it's something simple like a stuck throttle in need of a cleaning. Is the throttle something easy to get at (eg: could I do it in the parking lot before leaving)? My Haynes is at home (about 70 miles from here).

Thanks!

BTW: Car is an '88 Accord LXi with approx. 170K miles.

Yeah look over the top of the motor at the intake manifold. On the left of it is the throttle body and the cable. Spray some WD-40 on it and see if that helps. Then just try pullin the gas pedal back towards you with your toe. Most of the time its the pedal sticking. If it is just spray some WD-40 On the spring on the pedal assembly under the dash.

Yeah look over the top of the motor at the intake manifold. On the left of it is the throttle body and the cable. Spray some WD-40 on it and see if that helps. Then just try pullin the gas pedal back towards you with your toe. Most of the time its the pedal sticking. If it is just spray some WD-40 On the spring on the pedal assembly under the dash.

If it is truly that easy, it will be my Christmas present. I need this car to make it through the last semester of school.

Really appreciate the help--will report back!

• 2 weeks later...

Worked like a charm. Can't believe I went from thinking about new cars to a rusty can of water displacement-40 in a matter of hours.

Thanks!

Archived