02 Accord EX SRS Light on, received recall, dealer says not related

kaizersose

Hi, I have an 02 Honda Accord EX with roughly 50,000 miles. My SRS light is on. I recently (in the last couple of months) received a recall notice pertaining to the SRS light being on. I finally took the car and the recall notice to my honda dealer. They ran diagnostics and said code 07-02 was being returned with Internal Failure of SRS Control Unit. They replaced the battery (which I did need done) and reran diagnostics and said the same code is being returned. Do i have any options here? I don't have an extended warrenty but I've seen a lot of TSB's regarding the SRS in my car. Is this something I'm going to have to breakdown and pay close to $600.00 to have fixed? Thanks for any suggestions!!

I personally would take it to a different dealer with your recall notice, and don't mention that you even went to this other dealer. See if they say the same thing or if they're willing to fix it under recall.

HungGSR,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have mentioned in my original post that this is the second Honda dealer in the area that I've taken it to. I had the same thought as you, I took it to one dealer and they told me it was the control unit and was unrelated to the recall so I figured I would take it to another dealer without telling them I had already taken it to one before to see if they would cover it. Unfortunately the second dealer gave me the same bad news.

Ya, that is an expensive fix if it needs done, and it doesn't relate to the recall. I just had this done to my wife's Odyssey, and it was $918 or something like that. My 2000 accord though had a seat-belt switch go bad that caused the light to go on, and that was under warranty (even with 165,000 miles on my car) because the basic rule of thumb is, anything pertaining to the seatbelts themselves will always be covered by the dealer, but if its an airbag problem, you're on your own.

I'm personally not too sure what your recall was for on the SRS, because I don't have any recalls for my 2000 Accord, but often they are pretty specific for what is covered. Wouldn't want to screw corporate America, you know.

Archived