Accord Coupe Concept

BuddySol

Looks like Honda wants to take back the #1 sales position from Camry...I'd def would buy one of these over a Camry. (Besides, it seems the new Camry is having 6-spd auto tranny issues...)

HON2007010830524_pv.jpg

A snippet of the Honda Press Release...

The styling of the Accord Coupe Concept conveys a powerful stance through its long hood, deeply sculpted lower body and fastback roofline. A six-sided grille and projector headlamps that recess deep into the front fenders contribute to an unmistakable and aggressive front fascia. Quad exhaust outlets integrated into the rear diffuser further convey performance and style beyond any Accord to date.

"The Accord Coupe Concept demonstrates the styling direction for the upcoming, eighth-generation Accord," said John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda. "As the industry's target for midsize segment excellence, the all-new Accord will set a new benchmark for safety, efficiency, performance, refinement and style."

A more powerful and lower-emissions V6 engine will provide higher fuel efficiency with the incorporation of Honda's next-generation Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) technology. Honda leads the industry with the highest Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) rating for any full line manufacturer* of 29.2 miles per gallon - well above the industry average of 25.3 miles per gallon.

HON2007010830377_pv.jpg

HON2007010830539_pv.jpg

HON2007010830422_pv.jpg

Looks like Honda wants to take back the #1 sales position from Camry...I'd def would buy one of these over a Camry. (Besides, it seems the new Camry is having 6-spd auto tranny issues...)

HON2007010830524_pv.jpg

A snippet of the Honda Press Release...

HON2007010830377_pv.jpg

HON2007010830539_pv.jpg

HON2007010830422_pv.jpg

I WOULD DEFINETELY BUY ONE OF THOSE. WHOO. DAMN THAT CAR LOOKS GREAT. I'D HAVE TO SWITCH UP THE DUBS AND THROW SOMETHIN REAL PROPER.

wow thats pretty badass. the concept doesnt seem too overdone like most are, so hopefully the production will be really close to that

beeyoootiful! I was somewhat impressed with the nissan altima coupe, which is basically an altima sedan in the front and infiniti G35 in the back... but this makes that car look like a mullet!

-b

It should look similar - John Mendell pretty much said so. Considering the Accord will debut this fall, this design pretty much says where they are going with this car. That's how it usually works with Honda/Acura new models. I wonder how the sedan would look like...

It should look similar - John Mendell pretty much said so. Considering the Accord will debut this fall, this design pretty much says where they are going with this car. That's how it usually works with Honda/Acura new models. I wonder how the sedan would look like...

Supposedly, a lot like this:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/to...t+side_view.jpg

powerplant?

<-- is an idiot.

The only thing I have read is Honda plans a 2.0 liter four-cylinder. With cars like the TSX, Honda has shown that it can work magic with a four-cylinders. Still, you would think a six cylinder will have to enter the lineup also, if they really want to compete with Camry. I think Camry's big six is rated at 300 or more hp.

I think this new design will be a big boost for Honda but I think Honda will long regret letting Toyota get a two-year head start on the more aggressive styling. Toyota also has plans to get back in the sports car market. Look at this bit of wildness they have in mind. That car sure has a big sly smile on its face.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog..._naias---02.jpg

(edited out the gigantic photo and put a link instead. more appropriate)

I doubt it. The Sports-4 Concept has been referred to as the next gen-TSX. I think the confusion comes in where the TSX is known as the Accord around the world. So international press often refer to it as the next-gen Accord. US press has started to claim it as the next-gen TSX. I think things are going to get a bit murky tho as Acura begins to go international and all the badge engineered cars will have to go either to Acura or Honda. Besides, looking at Acura concepts, the Sports-4 fits in line with the strange headlights and sharper edges of Acura design.

If anything, the sedan version of the Accord Concept will keep a very similar front with a different rear - as with any Honda model line that has a sedan and coupe in it. As for engine...nothing has been said other than a more powerful engine, the i-VTEC V6...not in the sense of i-VTEC in a four-bangin' DOHC...but the 'intelligent' in the i-VTEC V6 is for the VCM: Variable Cylinder Management.

As for the Toyota...hmmm, not a fan of hybrids...but eh whatever. The thing is suppose to sport a version of the Lexus GS450h motor...so it'll have big numbers, but I think I'd rather spring for Nissan's GT-R...

I doubt it. The Sports-4 Concept has been referred to as the next gen-TSX. I think the confusion comes in where the TSX is known as the Accord around the world. So international press often refer to it as the next-gen Accord. US press has started to claim it as the next-gen TSX. I think things are going to get a bit murky tho as Acura begins to go international and all the badge engineered cars will have to go either to Acura or Honda. Besides, looking at Acura concepts, the Sports-4 fits in line with the strange headlights and sharper edges of Acura design.

If anything, the sedan version of the Accord Concept will keep a very similar front with a different rear - as with any Honda model line that has a sedan and coupe in it. As for engine...nothing has been said other than a more powerful engine, the i-VTEC V6...not in the sense of i-VTEC in a four-bangin' DOHC...but the 'intelligent' in the i-VTEC V6 is for the VCM: Variable Cylinder Management.

As for the Toyota...hmmm, not a fan of hybrids...but eh whatever. The thing is suppose to sport a version of the Lexus GS450h motor...so it'll have big numbers, but I think I'd rather spring for Nissan's GT-R...

You are right. That picture I posted has been referred to as the 2008 Accord Sedan but that is just talk. The Coupe concept gives the best clue to what the sedan will likely look like. Going up against the likes of that Nissan GT-R, Toyota had better start referring to its FT-HS as the Supra rebirth, to really get some souls stirred.

No, but the front (headlights mainly) remind me of an R34 for some reason.

Very dynamic styling. Sorry it took sagging sales to do it, but I am glad Honda has awakened. Now they just need to build a true Type R Accord and sell it in the U.S. Actually, the styling of this concept gives lots of hope that that could happen. The lines on this car aren't quite as sporty as the Civic Type R but the new look sure shows that Honda has the Accord going in the right direction again!

Funny...when I see the headlights I think SONATA. Maybe it's to slap one back at Hyundai who did better on the Accord tailights than Honda on Sonata. HAHA...

Overall, it's not a bad design. Looking at the details though, many felt it borrowed heavily from other makes. Whatever, it's an Accord...it should appeal to a large amount of people. I find it appealing, and if I was towing around a loved one and my children, I'd definetly pick one up. And if anything, we learned from the 7th gen Accord, that even if it's ugly people will still buy it because it's a Honda.

Funny...when I see the headlights I think SONATA. Maybe it's to slap one back at Hyundai who did better on the Accord tailights than Honda on Sonata. HAHA...

Overall, it's not a bad design. Looking at the details though, many felt it borrowed heavily from other makes. Whatever, it's an Accord...it should appeal to a large amount of people. I find it appealing, and if I was towing around a loved one and my children, I'd definetly pick one up. And if anything, we learned from the 7th gen Accord, that even if it's ugly people will still buy it because it's a Honda.

You got that right. Sometimes I think the early 7th gen Accords are going to be like the 5th gen... hated at first, then loved later. Of course, this new design will put the older Accords in the distant past but they will always have a following. When history looks at this critical juncture in Honda's thinking about the Accord, the 06 Civic SI might end up being credited as the car whose sale numbers and tremendous demand woke Honda up and made them realize that it all starts with what tickles the buyers eyes.

Looking at the details though, many felt it borrowed heavily from other makes.

I am just glad Honda decided to abandon what looked like a 7th generation strategy to borrow from GM and turn the Accord into a Buick or Chevy Impala. The more I look at this new Accord the more I can't wait for it to get to market. If people want to call it a Camry copy, that's fine. Like you basically said, its soul will still be Accord. When they start releasing the spec's on this car, I hope they have stayed with a 6 cyl, 6 speed MT in the sedan. Except for the pedestrian styling, I would have bought one of those in the current generation.

HON2007010830377_pv.jpg

pretty cool... anyone else think it sorta looks like a tiburon?

I think it looks alot like a Tiburon.

asset_upload_file346_14291.jpg

Only major different is the front fascia on the accord is lower and has a bit more of a bull nose and the headlights are oriented to be more forward facing and are flush

Is it me or are all the 2-door coupes starting to look the same?

G6 Coupe:

pontiac_g6_gtpcoupe_2007_exterior_angularfront_640x480.jpg

And the front end on the accord looks very borrowed from this:

2007.scion.tc.20071105-E.jpg

I think it looks alot like a Tiburon.

asset_upload_file346_14291.jpg

Only major different is the front fascia on the accord is lower and has a bit more of a bull nose and the headlights are oriented to be more forward facing and are flush

Is it me or are all the 2-door coupes starting to look the same?

G6 Coupe:

pontiac_g6_gtpcoupe_2007_exterior_angularfront_640x480.jpg

And the front end on the accord looks very borrowed from this:

2007.scion.tc.20071105-E.jpg

It may have some styling similarities to a lot of cars, from some Toyotas (Lexus), right down to sports cars like the Audi TT. It's always that way with cars. I don't see much Tiburon in it, though. As for the G6 Coupe, there, on that GM, is where the current Accord coupe shape can spend itself out. I hope G6 buyers enjoy it. I would question the originalness of this new Accord design if it weren't from the same company that drew up Civic SI, S2000, etc. Plus classics, or sort of classics, like Prelude, Del Sol, CRXsi and more. Honda has been right out front for a long time. If there is one place on this car that I hope production will not look like the concept, it's the fascia in the lower rear where the pipes come out. That looks a bit silly, in my opinion.

I wish Honda had stepped up with this Accord for the 06 model. Clearly they were disappointed in the market reaction to the 7th gen, but gave it a facelift for 06 instead of abandoning it. Maybe they were hoping to work their way back to the 6th gen classiness, possibly the most beautiful Accord ever, but times were already changing, and 2006 would have been the perfect year to sport-up the Accord. Anyway, this 8th gen Accord will make up for that. I bet the stylists at Honda are walking with more bounce in their step these days as the greatest import car ever is about to grab a whole new generation of buyers. It's as sporty again as the 3rd generation was, and ready to impress.

I have looked at these and other pics of this car quite a bit since they were released. My mind is starting to settle down on thinking about the engineering now. A car that looks like this needs to also run great and have a suspension designed for driving and handling. If it looks this sweet but handles like a new Camry, then Honda will have fallen short and made a cool package with no guts. I do suspect that this new Accord is going to drive like it looks, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived