Circle Track Accord

circletrack_honda

Good Afternoon everyone.. I'm new to this forum.. I am in the process of preparing to build a circle track Honda racer.

I live in Michigan and the local 3/8mile paved circle track has a new class called "Pure Stock" which is V6 FWD automatic tranny only.

Last year a Dodge Intrepid won the points championship.. racing mostly against other Intrepids, a Spirit, a Lumina and a Cutlass Supreme.

I think an Accord or Acura TL would kick some serious tail.. but I'm new to the car and I'm hoping the legions of tuners, street racers and drag racing folks here will help me build a great circle track racer.

Anyone interested in giving me a hand ?

Good Afternoon everyone.. I'm new to this forum.. I am in the process of preparing to build a circle track Honda racer.

I live in Michigan and the local 3/8mile paved circle track has a new class called "Pure Stock" which is V6 FWD automatic tranny only.

Last year a Dodge Intrepid won the points championship.. racing mostly against other Intrepids, a Spirit, a Lumina and a Cutlass Supreme.

I think an Accord or Acura TL would kick some serious tail.. but I'm new to the car and I'm hoping the legions of tuners, street racers and drag racing folks here will help me build a great circle track racer.

Anyone interested in giving me a hand ?

they may not allow VTEC... tried it at my local track... My track only let me use SOHC non-VTEC cars, after I dusted for like 8 weeks straight, I race on a 1/4 mile high bank asphalt, so VTEC really helped me, my car was always bouncing off the rev limiter... on a 3/8, your staightaway's are longer (I assume) So the low end grunt of an American car may beat you out of the hole, but you'll gain in the end...

What's your tire compound?

How strict is tech?

If they do allow you to run, my guess is you'll pay a HUGE weight penalty, which will outweigh the benefits.

As far as the chassis goes... depends on what your rules allow and how much your willing to bend them....

they may not allow VTEC... tried it at my local track... My track only let me use SOHC non-VTEC cars, after I dusted for like 8 weeks straight, I race on a 1/4 mile high bank asphalt, so VTEC really helped me, my car was always bouncing off the rev limiter... on a 3/8, your staightaway's are longer (I assume) So the low end grunt of an American car may beat you out of the hole, but you'll gain in the end...

What's your tire compound?

How strict is tech?

If they do allow you to run, my guess is you'll pay a HUGE weight penalty, which will outweigh the benefits.

As far as the chassis goes... depends on what your rules allow and how much your willing to bend them....

The track rules for the class are posted below, weight penalties are suppose to only come into play with 3.8 little engines.. we would be under that. The V6s FWD pures also run with the RWD V8s, so I don't see how they can hit me too hard. Tires have to be Street DOT radials, I'll run with Sumitomos, those are the best in my area. Tech is good, but not "strict".

-- full rules --

Notice # 1: The Pure Stock division is new for the 2006 season. It was added in an attempt to provide a more affordable option to racing. Due to the many makes and models available for use, restrictions and minor changes may need to take place during the season as we learn more about this new division.

Notice #2: Any interpretations of the rules are left to the officials, whose decisions are final. Just because it is not written, does not mean you can do it. The two words to remember in this class are STOCK ONLY. In the event a car is deemed to have illegal parts the car is subject to being banned from all future race events at Spartan and Springport Motor Speedways. The driver is subject to loss of points to date, all prize money for the night and suspension from property.

Notice #3: If you are considering building or purchasing a Pure Stock we highly recommend you receive pre-registration approval prior to doing so. There may be cars that have been permanently suspended Spartan because of rule infractions.

A. BODY AND CHASSIS:

Any American made FWD V-6 model (no convertibles, 2 seat coupes, super charged or turbo).

The vehicle must remain in its original form. No alterations are allowed unless specifically stated in these rules. (See notice #3)

a) Wheel base minimum: 104.5"

(NOTE: Small-bodied cars not allowed. If you're unsure, call first)

b) Weights: (post race with driver) 3000 lbs.

(3800, DOHC, multi-valve add 100 lbs.)

c) Bumpers must be stock appearing.

d) Tow hooks are required.

e) All doors must be welded shut.

f) Rub rails are allowed (no sharp edges).

g) Must be able to open trunk and hood without use of special tools. Hood pins required.

h) Rear and side glass must be removed. Windshield may stay or be replaced with 1/8" thick Lexan. All other glass must be removed including but not limited to taillights, headlights, turn signals, mirrors, plastic, upholstery, carpet, etc.

i) Any after market add ons must be removed. Ex: trailer hitch

j) The battery may remain in the original factory location provided it is in a safe location and securely mounted. If the battery is relocated, it may only be relocated to the trunk area. Batteries mounted in trunk must be secured by (2) two 1" metal straps. No batteries mounted in driver's compartment.

k) Fuel tank to be mounted in trunk and secured with (2) two 1" metal straps (made for racing for fuel cells are recommended). May run plastic gas tank if it is located in front of rear axle, under floor pan and is fully covered with a steel skid plate. Fuel lines must run below floor pan. Tanks that are mounted in the trunk must have protective hoop and 10" of ground clearance.

l) Front fender inner liners may be removed.

m) No frame alterations of any kind allowed.

n) No adjustable shocks or struts of any kind allowed.

o) Must have stock floor plan to rear axle and all holes in fire walls must be covered with sheetmetal.

p) Must have battery kill switch mounted on "A" pillar.

B. ENGINES:

a) Stock only in stock location. No aftermarket parts.

b) Single exhaust only. Maximum 2.0" OD. Last 6" of exhaust must exit behind driver and be fully visible. No exhaust leaks allowed.

C. DRIVE TRAIN COMPONENTS:

a) Stock automatic only. Cooler are allowed.

b) Stock diameter working torque converter only.

c) No aluminum wheels. Steel wheels only, stock for that year, make and model.

d) 1" Lug nuts are required.

e) D.O.T. Street radials only. No bias ply, made for racing tires. Maximum width 235. No less than 60 series (no 55, 50, 40). Minimum tread wear rating of 300. All 4 tires and wheels must be the same size.

D. BRAKES:

a) Must have 4 wheel hydraulic brakes in working order.

E. SAFETY:

a) A four point cage with four driver's side door bars, three right side door bars and a 1/8" steel plate on driver's side door bars from front upright to rear upright and from top door bar to frame rail is mandatory. A front hoop may extend into the engine bay area. Tubing must be .095 gauge, 1.75" O.D. and must be padded around driver.

b) Made for racing aluminum seat, properly mounted is required.

c) A 5 point harness, properly mounted with a 3 year maximum date is required.

d) Driver's side window net with quick release is required.

e) A 2 lb. currently dated B or C type dry chemical fire extinguisher is required within driver's reach.

f) Fuel injected vehicles are required to have fuel pumps wired to stop any fuel from being pumped when engine is not running.

g) Steering wheel center must be padded. Quick release steering wheel optional.

h) Refer to section 4 for additional safety requirements.

What model year are you thinking? Here are stock weights for 1995-2001 accord's, in case it helps:

1995 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3285

1995 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3218

1996 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3285

1996 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3219

1997 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3285

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3219

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 CPE AT 3241

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 CPE AT 3197

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3285

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3241

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 CPE AT 3241

1999 Honda Accord LX V6 CPE AT 3197

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3285

1999 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3241

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 CPE AT 3259

2000 Honda Accord LX V6 CPE AT 3215

2000 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3318

2000 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3274

2001 Honda Accord EX V6 CPE AT 3283

2001 Honda Accord LX V6 CPE AT 3236

2001 Honda Accord EX V6 SDN AT 3329

2001 Honda Accord LX V6 SDN AT 3274

2002 should be the same as 1998-2001 since its the same model. I couldn't find the 7th gen accord's weights...

What model year are you thinking? Here are stock weights for 1995-2001 accord's, in case it helps:

2002 should be the same as 1998-2001 since its the same model. I couldn't find the 7th gen accord's weights...

Stock weights are a good starting point, though normally by the time you rip all the interior out and get rid of the glass and plastic.. put in a crash cage and race seat.. your normally 200 to 300 # less then OEM curb weight.

Archived