Spark plugs

sk8er722

1992 Honda Accord LX 4dr

I changed my spark plugs and the old ones were covered in oil and the gapping was at least a 1/4" or more.

Not really sure what I need to do, but I am assuming this is a hard and expensive fix. Anyone know?

1992 Honda Accord LX 4dr

I changed my spark plugs and the old ones were covered in oil and the gapping was at least a 1/4" or more.

Not really sure what I need to do, but I am assuming this is a hard and expensive fix. Anyone know?

If it's never been done, your car is long overdue for valve cover gasket replacement and also all the other seals under there. The oil on the plugs is a sure sign that the gasket/seals are shot. Also another little often forgotten tuning need for Honda Accord is getting the valve clearance adjusted or tuned by a Honda mechanic.

The plugs you took out may have not been the right ones for your motor, never been gapped properly or they were impacted by poorly tuned engine, low quality fuel, lots of hard driving, etc. I have been using NGK plugs for just about as long as I have had my Accord and highly recommend them.

Valve cover gasket, not question there. I say this if you need more of a consensus. Mine had the same problem, and I had planned on doing the whole timing belt and such along with it. I would get it fixed sooner rather than later, because it doesn't take long for it to burn the oil up. If you haven't done the timing belt on it, then I would suggest doing everything all at once, considering you have to replace the VCG anyway.

Archived