Shifting Problem

NateTheGreat

1992 Honda Accord EX RWD Manual

I was driving my Honda around in the snow. I took a couple of turns and had some fun "drifting" if you could call it that lol. After a while I felt vibration from my drivers side wheel well. I stopped to make sure everything was fine before packing up and leaving the parking lot. While I was trying to leave the parking lot, I suddenly heard a racket, as if two gears where grinding together, from my left wheel well.

After clearing out the snow, turning off/on my car, I'd get the same result. Heres the symptons:

-I hold down the clutch and shift to 1st gear. Instead of the car moving forward, I just rev the engine while I hear the sound of what I think is two gears grinding.

-I shift the car 1st gear and let go of the clutch, normally the car should die and stall but it keeps running.

-I shift into, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear and get the same grinding noise.

-Twice I got the car to move a couple of inches my having the car in 1st gear and in 3rd gear.

-I can move the steering wheel just fine, clockwise and counter-clockwise

-When I rev the engine, my tires do not spin. It acts as if my car is neutral when in fact it is in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear...

I jacked up the car and removed the front tire. Cosmetically everything looks fine (too my noob eyes). I compared the passangers side to the drivers side. *Excuse my lack of correct terms*

On the broken side: You have your rim that is attached to the disk brake I believe. Attached to the circle-like disk (spindle maybe?). Is a metal bar (Rack and Pinion Unit maybe?) With rubber gaskets at each ends of the bar. I had a friend push the stick shift up, as if to go into third gear (without holding down the clutch). I see the metal bar moving clockwise, however it does not move the wheel. From my comprehension, I think that the Rack and Pinion Unit is broken where the bar connects to the wheel mount.

On the normal side: I see everything above except that the bar (Rack and Pinion Unit) does not move, it stays attached to the wheel mount.

At first I thought I had a transmission problem, now I think I've just messed up my steering system. But why would it effect my car's shifting?

When I get my car towed back to my house, I'll take pictures/videos of the problem.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Please help me out a lil!

Thanks alot,

Nate

Well this is what a buddy from another site explained to me:

ol, you got a couple things to learn about your car. First off, your car is not rear wheel drive, its front wheel drive. Second, you wheel is attatched to the hub, behind the hub is the brake rotor, behind the rotor is the spindel. The axel is bolted through the spindel to the hub. The axel has 2 CV(constant velocity) joints on either end. This allows the wheel to spin with power when you are turning or go over a bump. The Outter tie rod is what connects the steering rack to the spindel, however, it is mounted to an arm that comes off the spindel, where as the axel is inline when the hub/spindel assembly. What has most likly happened is, you snaped the CV joint, which is inside the rubber boots. When you put it in gear and let the clutch out, half of the joint is moving, and grinding againt the other part. Now, the car also has an open differential, so power will to the path of least resistance, so if one side has a snaped CV joint, and the other has the wheel attatched, obviously the broken side is easier, and it will produce the grinding sound.

Sorry for the novel, but I hope that answers the question

ETA: its impossible for you to have the car in 1st and 3rd at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have experience doing this yourself? manual with pics??

Thank you,

Nate

you either broke an axle(what im guessing) , or your clutch is screwed , or your tranny might have internal issues.

or a cv. thats what happend to us the one night in the rail, couldn't figure it out for the life of us in the dark! then when we got it back in the garage, a lightbulb went on.... OYE its the damn cv!

EDIT : previous post mentions CV lol.....

its pretty easy to do. messy as hell tho, unless you have or make a bearing packer. a couple of bolts, a snap ring, and.... um.... i dunno if Honda's have anything else to them. maybe 2 clamps for the rubber boot, and thats it.

or a cv. thats what happend to us the one night in the rail, couldn't figure it out for the life of us in the dark! then when we got it back in the garage, a lightbulb went on.... OYE its the damn cv!

EDIT : previous post mentions CV lol.....

its pretty easy to do. messy as hell tho, unless you have or make a bearing packer. a couple of bolts, a snap ring, and.... um.... i dunno if Honda's have anything else to them. maybe 2 clamps for the rubber boot, and thats it.

all of those ezzact same issues just happened to my car. but mine is easer to pin point because i have a hole in my transmition where i threw third gear through the wall. but the same could have happened to you just your casing is stronger. but i could drive mine a few miles before it gave out and everything then now when i start it and put it any gear it just bogs and doesn't move or i hear a rattling inside the tranny

Archived