Sway bars

2005AccorD

Anyone put them on their accord? I was looking into them and would really like to improve the handling on my Accord. Dad just bought a new mercedes and the handling on that thing kicks the crap out of my car. I know adding a sway bar isnt going to turn my car into a mercedes but im sure it will help. What are some estimated prices/places i could get them at, I checked at cardomain and they were around $170 but i was thinkin that is probably not the best place to buy them. Also what is the differnece between buying the strut bar and the sway bars? I have a 2005 Accord LX.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SUS51137

http://www.cardomain.com/item/DCSCSB3022 - strut bar

P.S. first post hey everybody

strut bar and the sway bars are going to help your car handle alot better.

the sway bars bolt to your control arms to help prevent body roll and flex.

the strut bar connects the tops of the struts together to help prevent flex.

If you're doing it yourself, the strut bar (or tower bar) is really easy to do. Sway bars aren't hard, but often you will be replacing the endlinks too when you change it. Also, I don't know about yours but I know on 6th gen accords there is a problem of larger rear sway bars rubbing on the exhaust. Just a thought.

Also, IMO, get a 1 piece strut bar. multi-piece sway bars are easier to install, but multiple pieces will create weak spots. Not that they are necessarily bad or you'll ever have a problem, but that's the way I look at things. I know a good strut bar for a 6th gen is about $115 shipped...

ok cool yea I am doing it myself because I know enough about my car to do this, i'm no mechanic though. Alrite cool where do you think i can land one for 115$ shipped? I can handle that price.

I just went flipping through a couple online places where I had found mine, and I can only find one for a 7th gen accord, and it was 165. Try summitracing.com, that's one place I didn't look through. Neuspeed's are pretty popular for 6th gen's, but I didn't see one available for a 7th. I'll keep my eyes peeled though...

I just went flipping through a couple online places where I had found mine, and I can only find one for a 7th gen accord, and it was 165. Try summitracing.com, that's one place I didn't look through. Neuspeed's are pretty popular for 6th gen's, but I didn't see one available for a 7th. I'll keep my eyes peeled though...

Alright thanks yea i'll keep looking and after it's installed and i got my car fixed from a hit and run ill post some pictures. Ohio sucks had a pretty bad white out snow night and i wake up to go home and see my cars headlight smashed in with my front bumper falling off $1,162 in damage luckily my insurance will cover it i only pay $400 which sucks because thats a huge waste of money i could have spent on upgrades.

If you don't push your car hard through corners (shouldn't be on the streets anyway), then no, it will have no benefit. If you ever push the limits of the car through the corners, then yeah, it will make a difference.

Thank you HungGSR, so since i do like to take turns fast, and would like to protect my car; which does more sway bars or strut bars. Actually i guess the better question is what is the difference? Strut bars go on the top of the towers right? Which would be the better investment for my money? Approx. costs on each? Thanks so much.

You can actually get upper and lower rear sway bars. Bang for your buck, a sway bar is going to help the most. It will reduce body roll and stiffen up the car through the turns. If you put a larger one on, make sure you learn the new limits of your car. A bigger rear sway bar will eliminate a lot or all of the understeer and even cause some oversteer in some cases. If you take a fast turn now, your front will slide out.....with a bigger rear bar, too fast of a turn will cause your rear to slide out. Having the rear end of your car slide out is harder to correct and could throw you in the ditch if you don't know how to control oversteer.

You can actually get upper and lower rear sway bars. Bang for your buck, a sway bar is going to help the most. It will reduce body roll and stiffen up the car through the turns. If you put a larger one on, make sure you learn the new limits of your car. A bigger rear sway bar will eliminate a lot or all of the understeer and even cause some oversteer in some cases. If you take a fast turn now, your front will slide out.....with a bigger rear bar, too fast of a turn will cause your rear to slide out. Having the rear end of your car slide out is harder to correct and could throw you in the ditch if you don't know how to control oversteer.

So then what does a strut bar do? does it just brace the top of your towers?

Stiffens up the chassis a little bit. The sway bar actually ties into the suspension rather than just bolting between strut towers.

Thanks for all your input. So would you suggest a rear sway bar or is that dangerous then. Judging by going into a ditch and all hahah

I'd suggest the rear sway bar, but I would also suggest you find somwhere safe to learn how your car feels at it's limits with the sway bar. Look for an auto-x event in your area so you can figure out what to do when/if your back end slides out.

I'd suggest the rear sway bar, but I would also suggest you find somwhere safe to learn how your car feels at it's limits with the sway bar. Look for an auto-x event in your area so you can figure out what to do when/if your back end slides out.

Oh yeah i'd definitely take safety as a first consideration. How much would one cost for a 99 accord sedan? Also would instillation be hard, i can do most work on my car myself however i have never done any suspension work. Is this just a bolt on kind of thing?

thanks for all the info. Im going with the rear lower sway bar.

Archived