Is it electrical?

tek747

So ive been stressin on this fan cuz it keeps trippin my alarm........

I drive about 10mi. to work and engine warms up sufficiently, so when i turn my car off its fine.

Temps right where it suppose to be but, 5- 10 min after having car turned off fans kick in on and off

like it has some sort of demonic possesion! WTF, its killing me!! Any idea for this issue before i cut the wires and hook it up to a toggle!? I got a bran-new radiator, thermostat, and tempsensor already installed........

....it still hasnt made a differance! :sad:

relay sounds good but in the haynes manuals they say that the fans in honda vehicles will sometimes cut on even after the car is shut off. As a matter of fact my brothers accord did that.

I hate to say it, but that's normal for 4th gen accords. My 93 used to run the fan to help cool the block after you turned the car off too. Its not a problem, its just because there is no longer air flowing through your radiator to cool the engine, so the fan takes up the slack. Don't rip your car apart unless the fan doesn't turn off all night or something!

And let me add... My accord was not the only one in my experience that did it. I've just never seen it on another model or another year (I've never seen my 2000 do that), but I've seen 3 or 4 4th gens do it...

one way to fix it is to hot wire it. I mean rework the wires so that the fans only come on when the key is on. All you have to do is jump the main plug that runs both fans with a paper clip or small wire. This will cause your fans to run constantly but only while the key is on.

Its not a problem, its just because there is no longer air flowing through your radiator to cool the engine, so the fan takes up the slack.

so replace the radiator

so replace the radiator

It's not really that. Its more that, you've got a hot piece of iron sitting in a realitively enclosed space, and heat rises so it can't escape. The radiator is designed to cool things down, and when there is an influx in temperature which turning off the car and having the heat build up in the engine compartment, your fan is going to try and cool it down. Just like when its running. Your engine compartment will acually warm up slightly when the car is off, (like when you idle at a traffic light) because a radiator needs air to move through it to cool it down. Its a very basic concept. No wind=heat build up. The temperature is getting warm enough after it is turned on for the car to kick the fan on. No big deal. When its cooled down it turns off... No biggie...

but i thought u said the problem happens because the radiator has no air flow

Yes. When a car is not moving then there is no air moving into and through the radiator without the help of the fan (or fans, as the case may be...)

Yes. When a car is not moving then there is no air moving into and through the radiator without the help of the fan (or fans, as the case may be...)

Lots of ideas and suggestions!! Thanks guys, sorry for getting back late on this. I have herd that its normal on 4th gens, wich is kind of odd; especialy when it never use to do it! I have swithed that relay with a new one and concluded that problem....... so i figured it had to do with some electrical on the fans.

Hmm, so what the reliability on hot wiring the fans?

well it shouldnt hurt anything, the main thing it will do is keep the engine cooler because of the fans constantly running with the key on. And as far as reliability my car (89 crx) has been this way since before i got it and ive had it for almost two years and the car has over 218K miles on the stock engine, and i have had no problems with it relating to regulating engine temps.

Ive got a toggle swith on my other car, but i want to make this car prestine! I wierd, ive change out everything and still...... sounds normal after ignition is off and then turns off but then, it turns on for 1sec. turns of the again for a sec. then off!! I think ill just hack the hole engine into peices. Any suggestions on what to use!? LOL

Ive got a toggle swith on my other car, but i want to make this car prestine! I wierd, ive change out everything and still...... sounds normal after ignition is off and then turns off but then, it turns on for 1sec. turns of the again for a sec. then off!! I think ill just hack the hole engine into peices. Any suggestions on what to use!? LOL

Acetylene torches are fun!

Archived