Hesitation and Check Engine issue. Stumped 4 shops.

jmswentzel

Hopefully someone here knows whats going on. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm quite sick of paying labor costs for "Well, we can keep trying but we'll have to charge you".

Here's the car.

1992 Honda Accord Station Wagon EX

135,000 miles.

Heres the problem.

A few month's ago, It started to hesitate betwee 30 - 55 mph. Not always, it seemed very random. If I slammed on the gas, it would accelerate, and as soon as the RPM dropped down to the steady pace, it would than hesitate again. If I put the car in Neutral, restart it, it would work for an undetermined amount of time.

Suddenly it started to get very bad, Every half mile or less I would have to restart the engine. So I took it in to the local Import shop, and after some Diagnosis, they changed the Distributor. 350$ out of my pocket.

Once they did that, it seemed fine to them, but the next day after i got it back, started happening again. I unfortunately have tried to get it back there, but I was forced to move recently and cannot make it back to wehre this shop is.

So here's the important stuff.

The car hesitates, and in the beginning, if i put fuel injector cleaner in the tank, it would temporarily work fine, than one day, that became useless and it did it all the time.

If I just ride it out, and deal with it for between 10-30 miles, eventually the Check Engine Light will turn ON, and the problem will dissapear until the next reset.

It has also started happening at low speeds too, No certain speed, level, or gear seems to cause a problem.

Any ideas kids?

If you could find out what code it is throwing it would be a lot more helpful. But it sounds like the dizzy is bad, but you replaced it. Have you done a general tune up on it recently? Fuel filter could be clogged, plug wires could be bad, plugs could be bad.

Hopefully someone here knows whats going on. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm quite sick of paying labor costs for "Well, we can keep trying but we'll have to charge you".

Here's the car.

1992 Honda Accord Station Wagon EX

135,000 miles.

Heres the problem.

A few month's ago, It started to hesitate betwee 30 - 55 mph. Not always, it seemed very random. If I slammed on the gas, it would accelerate, and as soon as the RPM dropped down to the steady pace, it would than hesitate again. If I put the car in Neutral, restart it, it would work for an undetermined amount of time.

Suddenly it started to get very bad, Every half mile or less I would have to restart the engine. So I took it in to the local Import shop, and after some Diagnosis, they changed the Distributor. 350$ out of my pocket.

Once they did that, it seemed fine to them, but the next day after i got it back, started happening again. I unfortunately have tried to get it back there, but I was forced to move recently and cannot make it back to wehre this shop is.

So here's the important stuff.

The car hesitates, and in the beginning, if i put fuel injector cleaner in the tank, it would temporarily work fine, than one day, that became useless and it did it all the time.

If I just ride it out, and deal with it for between 10-30 miles, eventually the Check Engine Light will turn ON, and the problem will dissapear until the next reset.

It has also started happening at low speeds too, No certain speed, level, or gear seems to cause a problem.

Any ideas kids?

Sounds like your idle air screw is loose or gone but if I remember ,a loose screw would mean high idle.But if it is missing than that might be a problem. Or else it could be the IACV. The iacv controls your idle.If it is not

working than your car's idle would pulsate and or drop when there is letoff and then drop your idle completly at a halt or stop every time.It would gradually come to that point.. from boging or pulsating to killing the car at stops. And yes you can still start the car. But then again you would be kicking a code. Just my opinions.

Archived