sound deadening

so ive been thinking of little things to do to my car, and i want to add some sound deadning to the trunkl lid. i already have the entire trunk covered with second skin, and i really like their product. i dont want to cover the entire lid, because that just looks retarded. i want to put the sound deadner in like the 'holes' kinda. heres a pic, not of my car, just the trunk

DS3-Trunk-1.jpg

does anybody have any hookups for stuff like this? or a good place to get some sound deadner at a good price?

About a month ago I got a super great deal on some second skin damplifier. 80 sq. ft. for 60 bucks. You might want to check eDead. Go to elementaldesigns.com and check their sound deadening, its priced pretty well. I definitely recommend cutting into small pieces rather than using sheets. I realize you want to just put them in the holes. Though that will help, its not going to help completely. It may look ugly, but how often is someone gonna look at your trunk? Your sound quality will greatly increase and you can also gain a few dB. I'd do a couple layers as well. If you want to go a step further I would do the entire trunk and the doors. If you go to google and type sound deadener showdown you will find a link comparing a bunch of different sound deadener brands. I've heard Fatmat is good as well.

i found that spraying expandable foam into the hollow crevices on the sheet metal under sound deadener works really well too.

that sounds like a great idea!!!! NOT!

lol.... NEVER use spray foam on your car. It will rust out.

Some people say that spray-on insulation for like houses works good.

i found that spraying expandable foam into the hollow crevices on the sheet metal under sound deadener works really well too.

Same thing, aren't they?

that sounds like a great idea!!!! NOT!

lol.... NEVER use spray foam on your car. It will rust out.

thats odd, considering cars like buicks and caddilacs come stock with the trunk lining filled with expandable foam

I could be wrong, i would love for you post some evidence to this. I just never heard of that.

I live in florida 6 miles from the beach, and have used expandable foam to fill alot of my trunk lids and door panels and have never had problems with rust.

Might depend on the foam. They make a lot of different types of foam..

You've got your run-of-the-mill expandable foam to seal holes and whatnot then you've got your industrial grade foam that expands and hardens and is classified as "structrual enhancement" in certain situation's on commercial/residential houses. I've unfortunately been blessed with having to use both while doing HVAC.

I don't know about you, but every buick and cadillac I have seen over 5 years old has rust in the trunk. Many that were close to 10 had holes all the way through.

Although that could have been from crappy assembly and not foam....

Anyway, the foam could get messy if you wern't used to using it. Make sure to practice alot before putting it on your car cause once it is on you'll likely never get it back off/out of there.

About a month ago I got a super great deal on some second skin damplifier. 80 sq. ft. for 60 bucks. You might want to check eDead. Go to elementaldesigns.com and check their sound deadening, its priced pretty well. I definitely recommend cutting into small pieces rather than using sheets. I realize you want to just put them in the holes. Though that will help, its not going to help completely. It may look ugly, but how often is someone gonna look at your trunk? Your sound quality will greatly increase and you can also gain a few dB. I'd do a couple layers as well. If you want to go a step further I would do the entire trunk and the doors. If you go to google and type sound deadener showdown you will find a link comparing a bunch of different sound deadener brands. I've heard Fatmat is good as well.

well theres a couple reasons i dont wanna do the whole thing. i actually open the trunk a lot, because i take the top off a lot. and also since i got the spoiler on, it added a lil weight, so it doesnt pop when i unlock it anymore, so i dont wanna add any more weight to the trunk. thanks for the sites, ill check em out

I don't know about you, but every buick and cadillac I have seen over 5 years old has rust in the trunk. Many that were close to 10 had holes all the way through.

Although that could have been from crappy assembly and not foam....

Anyway, the foam could get messy if you wern't used to using it. Make sure to practice alot before putting it on your car cause once it is on you'll likely never get it back off/out of there.

LOL @ GM PRODUCT RUSTING

j/k lol.

i did some researching and edead seems like the way to go. i found a discount price .80 per square foot for v1, 1.28 for v1se, and 1.60 for v4. do you think i should go for the v4, its .25 inches thick whereas v1 is 45 mills and v1se is 65 mils?

Everyone i have talked to in regards to the expandable foam spray said it does not cost rust.

These are contractors who use it on steel window sills and door frames for construction. Also spoke to another guy who is an auto body mechanic who said he has never heard of this either.

Everyone i have talked to in regards to the expandable foam spray said it does not cost rust.

These are contractors who use it on steel window sills and door frames for construction. Also spoke to another guy who is an auto body mechanic who said he has never heard of this either.

ok well you can do that to your car if you want to, I'm sure as hell not.

here....

from some of my forums, that know more about rust, and keeping it at bay then any out there.

closed cell foam is ok to use. aka sheets of foam. expanding foam is open cell. dip it in water, if it holds water, DON'T use it.

i did some researching and edead seems like the way to go. i found a discount price .80 per square foot for v1, 1.28 for v1se, and 1.60 for v4. do you think i should go for the v4, its .25 inches thick whereas v1 is 45 mills and v1se is 65 mils?

anyone?

http://www.raamaudio.com

rick is a great guy, and will answer even the dumb questions full heartly.

IMHO it is the best of the best better than anything you can get at one of these franshised based electronic stores, by far.

if this stuff was a drug than Rick would be Tony Montana...its that f*cking good!

Archived