1990 accord ex faulty alternator?

stigedis

need assistance in what I suspect is a faulty alternator, but would like another opinion.

scenario is this:

went on vacation for the last week and had to park the honda (agnes as i call her) at the airport for the duration. Here in MN it was below freezing pretty much the whole time. I was thinking upon my return that a jump was going to be necessary. However, it was aboyt 20 degrees when we returned and she fired right up. No hesitation. I did however immediately notice the battery dash light was on. It was still during daylight hours. As i proceeded to drive home and it got dark out the lights were required. Upon my return to the driveway, she was all about but dead. Lights dim, tach not working etc. Turned off all that i could just to make it home. I chrarged the battery all night and still the battery light is on. I made sure the cells were filled with water. It was about 10 miles to home from the airport. I let the car idle before leaving the airport for like 10 minutes and ten minutes after returning home with no accessory stuff on. Need less to say I decided not to drive agnes to work today (40 miles away) in fear that the alternator is not working and she would suck the juice right out of the battery. There was no indication what so ever that their was any problems prior to my departure.

My questions are:

#1 does this sound like the alternator?

#2 anyway to confirm a faulty alternator besdies replacing it?

#3 Do alternators just die that quickly without warning? And perhaps the fact it sat out in the freezing temps expedite its death?

#4 Is it difficult to replace as a DIY? I am pretty mechanically inclned.

#5 what else should I be thinking here that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!!!!

thanks, michael

• 1 month later...

i didnt read the ur whole problem cause i mean lets face it...im tired and its kinda looooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg.sorry,lol. but if u think its the alternator go have it tested.:thumbsup:

my buddy had wat he thought was a alternator problem but he l8r figured out it was a faulty battery.

Get a voltmeter of some kind. Connect, or touch, both leads from the meter to the corresponding polarities of the battery. Start the car and with it running, see what the meter reads. If it's less than 14 volts, your alternator is bad. If it does indeed read 14 volts (doesn't seem likely according to your story) , You need a battery. Simple as that.

Archived