96 accord-driveshaft

Chas_3rd

Hello Everyone

I have a quick question

My mother-in-law has a 96 accord (unsure of engine at this point), It broke down on her a few days ago and she had it towed to honda dealer before we could look at it.

Anyways they Quoted her 3500.00 for a trans and drive shaft now to me this just seems so outrageous,

Id appreciate other thoughts or Ideas as to what would be a reasonable price for this operation. or even if this extreme dissection is worth it

Hope Im more clear than mud

Much thanks in advance Chas

Um.

One. You don't have a drive shaft.

Two, tranny is WAAAAAAY too expensive.

Here's what you do. Rummage through junkyards and ebay, see if you can't find the tranny. And, as far as the "driveshaft" goes..you have CV axles..easy and cheap to replace.

you knew what he was talking about didnt you? what are we fukin spelling bee masters? tired of these useless ass posts. why theres only ohhh , 10 people that post regularly now. cmon boys grow up. dont waste money fixing axles dude , get a whole new one.

cranny - if the Honda dealer told him driveshaft then what do you expect civic cee exx to do, let him keep believing that he has a driveshaft? It's not like he was a jerk about it and he did give some useful info in his post too. You're very edgy this morning....hope you don't lay into me over this post.

im not edgy at all , just tired of people taking shots at people who dont know. thats like punching a guy in the mouth with no arms , hahaha. why would i lay into you? stop your whining , hehe. and your right civics post wasnt that bad , sorry civic.

Thanks Yea I knew there wasnt a "driveshaft" per se but in shopping and pricing parts for honda accords seems to show front and rear driveshafts

maybe they are shafts for driving things other than axles

anyways so Im guessin that this 3500.00 dollar price tag is prolly accurate if transmissions for that thing are way expensive

appreciate the help but Im not enough of a mechanic (obviously) to know one trans from another .. If I was to find which trans is on this (prolly 2.2 engine) would you guys turn me on to which makes/models have it .. to make the searching easier .. Thanks again and Mello Melloooo Chas

Crap more info they told her 400 bucks for the "driveshaft" repair if that dont work shes gonna not do the trans as you can understand

That leaves me wondering that if this trans is messed, Do you guys think it would be worth my while to get it off her and have the trans replaced with a used one and maybe hand it off to a daughter who could use a good ride?? just askin any help is of course appreciated.. chas

some symptoms of what the car was doing would be good , if there is an engine light or not. any fluids leaking? any sounds? its not very often you see the trannys go so. was it properly maintained?

I work for a Honda dealership and i agree, its not often you see a Tranny just "GO". most go to abuse or lack of maintenance. as far as the CV-Axles go i got some for $68 at carquest, they're an easy fix too. the tranny does sound way to expensive, i dont think we charge that much at my job. i agree that your best bet is to first check out some junkyards or ebay.

TRUE the training wasnt bad they replaced what they termed "drive shaft" which are likely th CV axels you mentioned charged her 400 bucks and shes back on the road . I never got a chance to see the car the whole time but when I get by her place i'll find the invoice to let ya'll know what did go bad etc. Thanks again guys Chas

Archived