Really hard gas pedal

CompuRIP

I bought this car used - 95 Accord EX A/T w. 101k on it.

One thing, the gas pedal is SOO hard to push, you have to really put force into holding it down, makes your leg tired. If you don't keep a conscious effort of it, you start to lose speed on the highway.

So far, I lubed the throttle springs where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body - used a good silicone lubricant, seemed just a little bit better after that.

I also took the throttle body apart to clean it - it was spotless, no build up, nothing, perfectly clean, so I don't see how the throttle plate could be sticking.

When I get under the hood and manually give the car gas (push on the springs), its very hard to push. (So I don't think its the throttle cable). And I lubed all that stuff to death.

Any idea how to fix this? Thanks guys!

Try cleaning the hell out of what you lubed up, like use a carb cleaner of some kid. Then I guess lube it up again but see if you can find Power lube (the name of the product) anywhere. That stuff works amazingly well. You can even lube around the pedal if you wish. But here is the thing, did you disconnect the throttle cable when you pushed the spring? In essance what I'm saying is, try to isolate the problem as best you can. Let me know if you figure anything out!

check the pedal under the dash too. other than that , could be your throttle cable binding up. i mean , it is a cable , and if the car did any amount of sitting , it could be the issue. take it off , hang it , make a funnel out of cardboard or paper , tape it to the end so it directs lube into the cable , spray a bunch in your funnel and walk away for an hour , come back and spray some more , see if that will loosen it up.

Started to have this same problem with my 95 EX M/T a while back, and all I did was disassemble the throttle body and trace the throttle cable back all the way to the gas pedal.. Didn't seem to find anything in particular, but I lubed all the jointed parts before I reassembled and it worked just fine after that.. Just an idea..

Archived