01 power steering pump Grinding sound? any info

astrochimp

my 01 dx only has 60 something thousand miles but there a loud sound coming from the steering pump, i'm pretty sure. You can hear it grind as the pulley turns..if you touch the steering pump you can feel it also.

Anybody else had this problem? And should this be happening with SUCH LOW MILEAGE?

I don't have the 100 bucks or so for a new right now So i was looking at ebay...

THANKS FOR INPUT

ALSO, maybe I shouldn't be lookin at a Used one if the life expectancy is only 60K miles?

maybe it's the pulley bearings on the pump huh

has the fluid ever been down for any amount of time? not last week , buddy of mine in a DA was driving with no fluid in the PS system due to a leak , he said fuk it , left the belt on and kept driving , few miles down the road , it seized solid.

has the fluid ever been down for any amount of time? not last week , buddy of mine in a DA was driving with no fluid in the PS system due to a leak , he said fuk it , left the belt on and kept driving , few miles down the road , it seized solid.

Wow that was smart.

I replaced the bearing..got new bearing at Napa for $11.

Almost Exact instructions here...

Mx6 page

HEY, WHAT COLOR should my power steering fluid Be? The color in the reservoir is kinda darker like motor oil. but this stuff i got at the auto store FOR HONDA's to top it off is almost perfectly Clear.

Any info?

Don't know but DO NOT buy any other kind. It could infact ruin your rack and pump in one shot. Happened to my uncle.

I don't need that problem...

although I hope there's nothing wrong with my system now being that the fluid is dark.

I read that i need to pump out the fluid out of th reservoir, fill it with new liquid..drive for a few days and REPEAT until fluid stays clear.

YIKES

I See $$$ Flying out the window using that method, but i'm gunna do it this morning

Archived