free is good...right

theres a guy i know who has an old amp laying around...so i told him i needed one, and hes going to give it to me. I have a 12" alpine sub in the basement ready to go into action(just need the cables). One problem though. I asked him what name it is and he said he wasnt sure but said it was red...so i automatically thought it was a x-plod but he said it wasnt...so he calls l8r and says its a "Punch". i personally have never heard of that name...have any of u?

i dont know the specs on the amp but if i get it soon ill post some pics.

yay or nay?

oh and another thing...

any advice on running power throught the fire wall...drill a new hole or run with the rest of the cables?

and is there any other advice i should know about the whole installation?

i think i know wat im doing but if i have any other questions ill ask when i encounter a problem...but with Crutchfield on my side i shouldnt need to much help. lol

get the amp and then use then post model number or do a Google search with the model number so u know what your working with.

just remember run power on one side of the car, speaker wires on the other side, to help prevent distortion

get the amp and then use then post model number or do a Google search with the model number so u know what your working with.

just remember run power on one side of the car, speaker wires on the other side, to help prevent distortion

speaker wires? do you mean the rca cables? i ran them all on one side on mine and its fine. as for the fire wall, you can probably poke a new hole in the rubber plug thing, shouldnt be too hard.

speaker wires? do you mean the rca cables?.

the rca wires are have shields, but if u run an amp to power each speaker, like the speakers in the doors u want to the wires away form the power, because most speaker wire isn't shield and can pick up interfaces from the power cables.i have had to we wire a few of my friends cars due to this

Any installer worth a damn will always tell you to run power down the opposite side from signal. Wires after the amp would be unaffected by power wires.

they still can be affected by the power after the amp... just the distortion wont be amplified so u wont notices as much or at all. just wrap all your wires in foil:-p

they still can be affected by the power after the amp... just the distortion wont be amplified so u wont notices as much or at all. just wrap all your wires in foil:-p

From Crutchfield Advisor.

6. If your in-dash radio has preamp (RCA) outputs, connect the RCA patch cables (included with most kits) to these outputs, taping them together so they won't come apart. Route the patch cables (again, using wire ties) to the OPPOSITE side of the vehicle from the power cable and blue turn on lead. It's important to separate the patch cables from the power wires to avoid potential noise problems. Now you can partially re-install the radio in the dash (don't push it all the way in, in case you need to fix a problem later).

There was nothing in there about after the amp, but when I dig up the hardcopy, I'll quote it then. Also, the minimal amount of power that flows through the turn-on lead is insufficient to affect the patch cables.

the rca cables have a foil insulator to shield the wires from the out side RF to help keep a clean signal pre amp. but if the wires post amp aren't shielded you still can get distortion. not as big as deal as preamp but you "may" (key word being may) hear the distortion in your speakers.

if u want i can explain about RF

my mistake its not the field clasping across the power wires it s across the speakers. u put a diode across the speakers so u don't get the feed back causing the pop

speaker = magnet with a around a wrapping of a crap load of wire. when a voltage is pumped threw the wire it creates an elctromagneat. moven the core up and down witch is attached to the top of the speaker, black paper or what eva it made of( don't know the term for this) makes vibration witch is sound. but when u cut the power that built up magnatic filed need to go some where so it rusn out and u get back feed and a poof from teh speaker. but if you put a diode across the coil ( wire wrap) it lets the power out slowly do to leakage so u don't get the sudden change.

i tried to make it simple

Archived