Rough Idling

xtomekx

01 Accord LX, 4 cyl, 2.3L AT, 120K miles

For sometime now I had, at least what I though, a minor belt squeaking problem, this happen after I got my timing belt changed after 100K. I didn’t take it too seriously since it only happens at idle, and it wasn’t that loud. In past couple of weeks more noises showed up when the car is running at idle speed. I can hear a ticking sound and well as a sound similar to bursts of compressed air, this seems to be coming from intake manifold. All this is also associated with some vibrations. Once the RPM go over 1000, all the ticking and other noises go away. Also when I’m parked and I hit the gas pedal and release from 2000-3000RPM the car sometimes stalls, and also it feels like it might stall when I stop at an intersection. I also noticed that the car runs bit better when its colder outside. I noticed some loss of power but that got fixed after I replaced the PCV valve, sparkplugs, sparkplug cables and distributor cap. However I’m not sure where to go with the rough idling. Any suggestions?

who replaced timing belt honda? sounds like it may have been too tight if it was squeaking after new belt was installed , and not sqeaking previously with old belt. only makes sense right. and when timing belts are installed too tight , it wears out pully bearings , including tensioner pully. also , that car has a balancer belt , which is replaced with the tiing belt always , any mention of this from mechanic? sounds like the car has a good tuneup , plus it only has very low miles so.....

For sometime now I had, at least what I though, a minor belt squeaking problem, this happen after I got my timing belt changed after 100K. I didn’t take it too seriously since it only happens at idle, and it wasn’t that loud. In past couple of weeks more noises showed up when the car is running at idle speed. I can hear a ticking sound and well as a sound similar to bursts of compressed air, this seems to be coming from intake manifold. All this is also associated with some vibrations. Once the RPM go over 1000, all the ticking and other noises go away. Also when I’m parked and I hit the gas pedal and release from 2000-3000RPM the car sometimes stalls, and also it feels like it might stall when I stop at an intersection. I also noticed that the car runs bit better when its colder outside. I noticed some loss of power but that got fixed after I replaced the PCV valve, sparkplugs, sparkplug cables and distributor cap. However I’m not sure where to go with the rough idling. Any suggestions?

When they replace the timing belt the mechanic probably put the alternator belt on too loose. Loosen the bolt on the alternator then use a pry bar to apply some tension on the belt. then tighten the bolt. Check and see if you have a vacuum hose that slipped off, this could cause the rough idle and hissing sound. Worst case scenario is the timing belt itself...it's better to go from the bottom up instead of the top down....peace.

Hey whats up..

with your idling problem, does it idl odd when its warm out, cold out or what....my car has idling problems as well...its not just my car tho or motor...although at one time i had the d16 in my honda it was idling odd by ranging from 1500 to 1000 and just going up and down continuously, but no problems...it ran fine, it didnt do much of anything bad accept an idling problem ONLY when it got cold out...Now i have advanced to a type r b18c and i have the same idling problem once again ONLY when its cold...i talked to a few of my other honda frienda about what was going on and they said the same....im not sure what the technical name of it is...but we call it honda idl...its something, im not quite sure what it is...but i am doing research and talking to honda techs about what makes it do that...i can get back to you if youd like ....that as much as i know towards and idling problem...sorry if i didnt solve your question but maybe one step closer to if it might be a serious problem....write back if youd like...lata

Archived