Transmission Problem - Vibration

JackP

Hello I am new to the Honda Forums but have found it to be extremely helpful in finding answers to problems with my latest vehicle. About a month ago I purchased a 91 Accord EX Auto with 106,000. It is in fairly good shape but has had shotty work done to it throughout it's life.ie:aftermarket tuneup parts, timing belt change but no cam seals valve cover gasket or water pump etc., cv boots replaced but with no grease repacked, bad exhaust job etc.....Since I have owned it I have replaced: plugs, wires, air filter, pcv, o2 sensor, egr cleaning, trany fluid, and axles. This work resolved a check engine light and clicking axles.

There is still one major issue that I cannot find an answer to that I had hoped the axles would fix but did not....When maintaining a speed of between 35 and 50 the drivetrain will shake untill you either left off the gas slightly or give it more gas then it stops. At highway cruising and below 35 it is smooth as a clock.

Another issue that is still happening is I am only getting 20 to 22 mpg - mostly highway driving between 65 to 75 mph. At first I thought these two problems were related to a torque converter lockup solenoid but I do not get any tranny codes while driving. The one thing I have not replaced yet that is mpg related is the fuel filter. So...

Will a new fuel filter make a significant difference in mpg?

Could it be related to the tranny issue? If not has anyone experienced this type of vibration and resolved it?

Thank you for any help.

(Sorry so long winded just wanted to get in all the details.)

Archived