Replacing Brakes on a 94

chucklesrb

Hey everybody,

I just signed up today and was hoping for a little help & insight. I took my g/f's 94 Accord LX Coupe in to get its brakes checked today at NTB. I knew it would need new rotors since there has been a nice shake when applying the brakes for a while now. Also needs new pads, no surprise there. What they also told me was that the car has pressed rotors, so they would need to replace the wheel bearings while doing everything else. I'm not really familiar with the braking system on the car, so I called Midas and asked and the tech I talked to said he hadn't heard of that either. There is no noise coming from the wheels, so that would seem to rule the bearings out.

I was just hoping I might be able to get a clear answer if NTB is trying to screw us out of a few hundred more dollars, or if they are being truthful. Thanks for any help and info!

Rich

You know what, my steering wheel also shakes in my accord while applying the break, seems like it is a related issue. Did not know it was due to the rotor, anyways an info will be greatly appreciated. Sorry I could not give any actual info, just wanted to throw in my input.

Hey everybody,

I just signed up today and was hoping for a little help & insight. I took my g/f's 94 Accord LX Coupe in to get its brakes checked today at NTB. I knew it would need new rotors since there has been a nice shake when applying the brakes for a while now. Also needs new pads, no surprise there. What they also told me was that the car has pressed rotors, so they would need to replace the wheel bearings while doing everything else. I'm not really familiar with the braking system on the car, so I called Midas and asked and the tech I talked to said he hadn't heard of that either. There is no noise coming from the wheels, so that would seem to rule the bearings out.

I was just hoping I might be able to get a clear answer if NTB is trying to screw us out of a few hundred more dollars, or if they are being truthful. Thanks for any help and info!

Rich

well i just recently got rid of my 94 accord and i did the rotor change. and yes the rotors are pressed on. if u have a little bit of car experience you should be able to do the rotors and pads yourself. wut u have to do is remove the wheel remove the half shaft or axle nut and ther steering etc that is connected to the hub. take your hubs and new rotors to napa and have them press off the old and press on the new. the discs and pads all together from autozone are like 70 bucks and about 40 for napa to press. and yess the shaking is from your brakes. mine got very bad then i changed the brakes and it didnot shake at all. not to mentuion the extremely good braking improvement. as for bearings, i didnt do them but it would probably be a good idea to do at the same time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. We ended up taking it to Merlins and had them take care of it for us. Our pads ended up being fine, and they thought they could just resurface the rotors. Turns out they couldn't, so they put brand new rotors on but still only charged us for the resurfacing. Total cost was $90. I will happily take that over $680 any day.

Archived