next question

hondaboy12

While getting a price quote for an O2 sensor, I was told by my local parts supplier that a 98 accord (w/4 banger) has two o2 sensors. this is not my car I'm looking in to it for a freind so I can't go out and look for myself, is this true? They told me it has one by the engine and one by the cat. He had the cat replaced after receiving a SEL for a bad cat, they cleared the SEL and the next day it came back same code (bad Cat) I'm thinking the O2 sensor after the cat has taken a dump. Can they be checked with a voltmeter? thanks for any help Ben

yes it does have two o2 sensors but I'm not sure where the second one is on an accordl. both of mine are right off of the header. and its cel not sel. doesnt really matter though things like that just bother me sometimes. if it where ur o2 sensor though i dont see why the trouble code would be bad cat. the cat he got could just be bad.

Do you know what your CEL code was? Find that out and maybe we can figure out the problem. And yes, there is a pre-cat o2 sensor. Open your hood and you should see it. I'm trying to picture it right now in my head, but I can't. I know it should be right there on the front of the engine though...

the cars owner took it to his mechanic, he's the one that told him it was a code for a bad cat, so I don't know the exact code I'm just trying to help out a freind. I though perhaps the after market cat was not up to the standards of a stock one, but I'm not sure. the O2 sensor on the maniflod is a given (can't miss that one) but I'm thinking there would be one after the cat, otherwise how would the computer know the cat was bad? I guess I'll have to climb under it this weekend and see, thanks guys

the cars owner took it to his mechanic, he's the one that told him it was a code for a bad cat, so I don't know the exact code I'm just trying to help out a freind. I though perhaps the after market cat was not up to the standards of a stock one, but I'm not sure. the O2 sensor on the maniflod is a given (can't miss that one) but I'm thinking there would be one after the cat, otherwise how would the computer know the cat was bad? I guess I'll have to climb under it this weekend and see, thanks guys

Im assuming a "CEL" is the same thing as a DTC which is the code that the computer throws. My car has thrown the same code. Yes, there is an 02 sensor before and after the cat and the difference in hydrocarbons before and after can tell if the cat is bad or not. First of all, to determine whether an 02 sensor is bad or not, unplug the battery and reconnect it (reset ECU). If it throws the code back real soon, 10 miles or less, its more likely to be your 02 sensor. If it takes a while (day or two) its probably your cat. Then, are there emissions inspections in your state? If so, you WILL have to have the cat/02 sensor replaced. If not, its not really important at all. It will result in a VERY slight loss in fuel efficiency but other than that all your doing is a little polluting. You could even just take out the cat and gut it out and put it back on. You could replace it with a straight pipe but I think that would be more expensive depending on you. You should get it replaced eventually because it will only get worse.

Archived