92 Transmission stuck in 3rd gear

jdbCRX

My girlfriend just bought a 92 Accord LX for dirt cheap. It does have 303,000 miles on it. 230,000 were strictly highway miles, and no, this is not a lot of miles for a Honda. My 84 Crx has 360,000.

When we bought it, we new it had this weird thing going on with the transmission. When you turn the car on, both Park and D4 are selected on the dash while it is in park. If you start the car while D4 is selected, the car runs in 3rd gear and will not shift. It starts out in 3rd and you can go about 45mph @ 3000rpm's, but if you go faster or slower, it doesn't shift. You can force it into D1 with the shifter, but once you set it in D4, it refuses to shift itself.

Sometimes you can turn the key to the on position and wait for the green light around D4 to go away and the car will run fine, or sometimes you can jiggle the automatic shifter and the light will turn off.

Any suggestions??

This is really strange. The guy that sold it to us (a friend of mine) said that he stopped driving it b/c it was his main commuter car and he needed something more reliable. He thought the TCU that is under the driver's seat needs to be replaced, but like I said it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Ok. Sorry, i'm a noob and i don't know much. thanks for the input. I looked through my Haynes book, but all I could find for solenoids was the shift-lock solenoid. where is the tranny solenoid located?

A friend told me to look in the engine compartment right on top of the transmission for that solenoid. We couldn't find it, but her dad is taking it for someone else to look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help. And I was wrong, the Maintenance Req'd light isn't on.

Thanks again.

no, the check engine light isn't on either. Sorry, I screwed up. The problem is that the car isn't at my house. I had to go to her house tonight and tinker with it. Still not sure where the solenoid is though. We know the Shift Lock Solenoid is under the shifter, but not sure where the main tranny solenoid is. Someone said it is on the tranny itself, but we can't spot it.

do you know what a vtec solenoid looks like? if you do , look for something very similar on the top of the tranny housing. theres 3 of them i beleve , 2 at least.

Archived