Engine pinging, idle surging, is it my EGR valve?

SneakyZ

Hey guys, I have an '01 Accord EX with the 2.3 and a 5 spd., and it's been pinging under load/low speeds, and when the A/C is on since last fall. I checked and cleaned the cap and, rotor, checked plugs, wires, etc, and all are in good shape. I did checked the valve lash, and found all valves within the .09"-.11" listed in my Haynes manual. The car has 104k miles on it. Occassionally, the idle surges from 700 to about 2,000 rpms for a few seconds. Could it be my EGR valve that's causing the pinging and the idle surging? I'm scratching my head hear. I have no idiot lights on either, but I would think that a bad EGR valve would trip the light by now. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I have an '01 Accord EX with the 2.3 and a 5 spd., and it's been pinging under load/low speeds, and when the A/C is on since last fall. I checked and cleaned the cap and, rotor, checked plugs, wires, etc, and all are in good shape. I did checked the valve lash, and found all valves within the .09"-.11" listed in my Haynes manual. The car has 104k miles on it. Occassionally, the idle surges from 700 to about 2,000 rpms for a few seconds. Could it be my EGR valve that's causing the pinging and the idle surging? I'm scratching my head hear. I have no idiot lights on either, but I would think that a bad EGR valve would trip the light by now. Any ideas?

when u have your ac on the engine, at idle, the RPM will go up and down to compensate for the exta load on your car. It is normal operation so your car wont stall out. there is nothing to worry about.. Though going to 2000 RPM sounds a little high for the compensaton.

when u have your ac on the engine, at idle, the RPM will go up and down to compensate for the exta load on your car. It is normal operation so your car wont stall out. there is nothing to worry about.. Though going to 2000 RPM sounds a little high for the compensaton.

Yeah, I know that's normal. The base timing is fine; it didn't jump around either. The idle doesn't bounce around very often, maybe only once a week when the defroster is on, so that doesn't occur every time the a/c comes on. It does ping every day though, especially before it's warmed up.

once again , PUT...A...TIMING...LIGHT...ON...IT. haha. pinging(or spark knock or detonation) means your timing is advanced too far dude. simple. or your fuel doesnt have enough bang , which obviously isnt the problem. or that your car simply isnt igniting the fuel like it should be.

Archived