AUTO TRANSMISSION WONT DOWNSHIFT

Joe Blow

OK -

I have a 1992 Accord and have had some shifting issues. It would sometimes get stuck in park and was very hard to get into gear! I had to jiggle it around a lot and it was especially bad when it was cold outside. Also the tranny would try to start off in high gear from time to time. I have a mechanic who does general maintenance take a look at it and he said that the shifter cable was really rusted and should probably be replaced. He felt that this may have had something related with the tranny not downshifting.

With that replaced, the car is still trying to start in high gear. If you shift into low and then use the shifter to shift up, it goes through the gears and drives OK. When you come to a stop, it stays in high gear. I am thinking this might be a solenoid, but I am not that familiar with Honda Trannys. The D for Drive light also stays on all the time, even when you are in a lower gear (2 lights are on constant). I heard if the D light is blinking, it indicates an error code, but this is on constantly. The mechanic did take it to a transmission shop and they scanned it, but it returned no error codes.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

you need new solenoids. they are located on top of the tranny. 3 of them i beleve.

Thanks for responding.

Should this be done at a dealership? I see the solenoids - they are really rusty on the outside. What is involved in changing these out?

I am concerned that if I do not get it right the tranny won't shift at all.

Archived