Master cylinder?

tygr20

91 Accord LX, auto, standard 2.2 SOHC F22.

This thing's got an apparent leak somewhere in the master cylinder. The brakes start to grab, and then the pedal goes to the floor. I'm replacing it this weekend- is there anything I want to watch out for or anything that will speed up the process?

I just replaced my master cylinder a few weeks ago for the same reason. Before installing your new Master Cylinder it saves a lot of time and works better if you first bench bleed the MC. To do this you will need a bench bleeder kit which I got from Napa Auto parts for $10.00. Put the MC in a bench vise, make sure its level and attach the plastic bleeder screws and hoses from the kit and fill the MC with brake fluid. You can use a large phillips head screw driver or 3/8" wooden dowel to push the piston rod in on the MC.. Push the rod in on the MC slowly all the way in and out several times (I did mine about 20) until no or very few bubbles appear in the brake fluid.

Remove the plastic screws and tubes and insert the plastic caps that came with the new MC (This will keep the brake fluid from dripping out) while you install your need MC. You will still need to bleed the entire break system starting at the rear passenger side wheel cylinder then the rear driver side wheel cylinder and then the front passenger side caliper and then finally the drivers side caliper. It's really not a hard job and the only part that gets a little tricky is treading in the old brake lines into the new MC.. Make sure you start them by hand and straight so as not to cross thread them.. Also I highly recommend that you use a genuine Honda MC and not some knock off as I have heard of adjustment problems with the piston rod on MC knock offs. By using a genuine Honda MC you will not need to do any adjusting.

@rspeach-

Thanks for the advice. Of course, as luck would have it... I just bought this car a month ago, and come to find out- it was missing a lug stud on the front drivers' wheel, and all three others were cross threaded on. Now I have to replace the lugs- is there anything to watch for on this? I think I heard someone mention needing a slide hammer to separate the parts of the plate. Any advice?

Archived