Honda Accord Race Car???

Duramax Diesel

I have often wanted to be involved in some sort of racing and I'm looking to enter into some local dirt track racing.

Here's the rules:

The Car must have a 4 cylinder engine

Must be naturally aspirated

I've spotted a Honda accord with a VTEC engine and an automatic tranny in it. It looks to be late 90's early 00 vintage and it has been rolled and the interior is crap. SO, I think I could get it relatively cheap from the body shop. My question is: Is the VTEC engine a strong runner (for a 4-cyl) and are there some go-fast goodies that are relatively cheap to purchase? Any estimations as to the top speed that the car would run in 1st gear?

Other competitors are:

honda CRX, Dodge Neons, Cavaliers and some other junkers.

I want to be competitive but not throw out too much $$$$.

Whatya think?

if it is the 94-97 model it has either the f22b2 non-VTEC motor(129 BHP 131 TQ) or the f22b1 VTEC motor(150BHP, 130TQ). Both are fairly torquey motors for what they are.

I had a Honda Accord LX with the F22b2 manual transmission and i usually shifted 1st at about 30 MPH. 2nd at 62-65, 3rd 85, 4th started getting slow.

the torque in this non VTEC motor is impressive.

CRX is too small and stock motor is weak.

A header, exhaust, beefy tires since its a dirt car, and some sort of intake (ebay is best cheap intake).

The FWD will be annoying since it will get close to no traction without reasonable dirt tires.

I looked under the hood and it definately said VTEC on the cover. If it's 150 HP, then I would say that is right there with the GM Quad-4's. I need to know what the maximum achievable speed is in 1st gear at the rev limiter.

The CRX that I mentioned is another car that is currently racing, that I would be competing against and it looked like an older model.

ive watched some dirt track racing with a crx. pretty sure he swaped motors but he crushed the other cars in the 4 cylinder class. if you could get a crx and swap a b18b1 for about a grand you would rape people. think about it the car is fairly light with pretty good horse power. front wheel drive cars do great in the dirt and gravel btw!

Archived