Fan won't quit

Monty

I hit, what seemed to be small, but was a very large puddle. Now when I turn my car off there's a fan in the front that continues to run for about 10-15 minutes. It's not long enough to kill my battery so it's not like, terminal right now, but if someone could tell me if it's ok or if I should look at getting it fixed, or just what it's doing so that I know for future reference.

My '93 used to do that (even without hitting a puddle). I think its just running to cool the engine down after its been running. If you really want to look into a problem, its possible the power supply is supposed to shut off with the ignition, but I've heard of several other older (4th gen) accords having this happen, so I just assume its normal. Warmer temperatures outside may have clued you into it. I remember parking my car in the garage and it turned the fan off a minute or two after the block was shut down (that was the first time I noticed.) Ultimately, I bet its just a matter of the thermostat not shutting down, so when the radiator isn't getting any wind through it (i.e. the engine is off and its stopped) the fan kicks in to do the work the motion is supposed to do. I would highly doubt its a matter of a large puddle kicking it on. There's another thread around here about this from a few months ago, I'll look for a link.

Here's the link. Again, its referring mostly to 4th gen's, but I assume its possible that it happens on 5th's as well:

Link

My personal conclusion would be, if it shuts off, its normal. If it never shut off, I think you'd have a problem.

Thanks for the input. The reason I asked was it didn't do it when I got to the auto parts store, but when I got home after leaving there it started doing it. The only thing I did was hit that huge puddle. And it's really cool here right now so the warm temperatures thing is out lol.

Archived