Check Engine Light

pare80

Hello,

I have a 1998 Honda Accord with 152K mile. I recently took it to my mech. and told him that the my check engine light appears every so often. He told me that my car is burning oil, and all my seals look good he does not know of anything specific to change to get it to stop burning oil. Is there something that I can replace? When the check engine light comes on, I usually put some oil in and reset the check engine light (thanx to this forum). It will only come on if the oil level get too low.

Any help in getting this resolved would be great. I don't mind feeding oil into it but on long trips that is hard to remember. Usually every other fill up I need to put in about a quart or two depending on the drive.

No Mods to this car, the only thing I have added is an after-market alarm and autostart. (Installed shortly after I bought the vehicle).

Thanx,

ParE

A quart for every 400 miles, I'd think you'd have a trail of smoke behind you everywhere you go. When was your last oil and filter change? Is the oil black on the dipstick or still looking new? Too much oil will give you smoke, too. What is the code your CEL is throwing? Probably a VTEC problem if its low oil as the problem, because if there isn't enough oil to the camshaft, it will throw a CEL, but can you verify the code? Is there a puddle under your car when it sits?

There is no smoke behind the car when driving or sitting idle. My last oil change was about a month ago. Since I keep adding oil to the car it looks pretty new. I don't remember what the CEL is throwing but can get that information for you.

There is no puddle under the car when it sit. I even had it lifted up at the mechs and it was clean, no oil at all.

I will get the CEL code within the next day or so. Is there a site that I can check the CEL code and see what to do?

A quart for every 400 miles, I'd think you'd have a trail of smoke behind you everywhere you go. When was your last oil and filter change? Is the oil black on the dipstick or still looking new? Too much oil will give you smoke, too. What is the code your CEL is throwing? Probably a VTEC problem if its low oil as the problem, because if there isn't enough oil to the camshaft, it will throw a CEL, but can you verify the code? Is there a puddle under your car when it sits?

man, if you need help you have to be a little more specific. you mention CEL but not what code you got, thats a good start. also check your oil for coolant and coolant for oil. is your car running hotter than usual? any visual leaks?

The Error code that it is throwing is P1526. I have tired to look it up and nothing.

Right now I am also having the problem where the car idles too low and just shuts off, then I have to pump the gas to get it to crank up. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am out of town and all these problems are happening.

Thanx,

Paras

Archived