Is there a way to disarm my alarm?

anjsmiles

I am new here and this is my first post.

I just got a 2000 Accord LX from a friend. The alarm is very sensitive and the keyless remote is broken. Tonight I forgot and locked the doors. Big Mistake! The alarm went off the minute I unlocked the doors and it will not let me crank the car. I had to call a friend to take me home. The alarm does stop after a few minutes but if you so much as touch the dash, open the door or try to start the car (that won't start) the alarm goes off again. My husband took me back later to see if he could figure out how to disable it but he has no idea how. He did disconnect the horn so that it doesn't make the noise. We wound up leaving the car overnight at the grocery store parking lot. Is there any way we can disable the alarm ourselves so that we can crank the car and get it home?

Ok.. the same thing happened to me. I actually followed the exact same steps.

The way I disarmed it.. and the only way to disarm it went like this.. the father of one of my friends who had absolutely NO knowledge about Honda's pulled ONE plug.. and it turns out that was the power source for the alarm system. I couldn't freaking believe it. The only explanation is 100% unquestionable luck.

My advice; look for an electrical center. There should be a little mounted box, and look for a plug for something like you would plug into a portable device. Like a charger for a CD player. The 9V (or whatever it is) plug that goes into the player itself looks exactly like what the guy pulled. As far as I know, this is the ONLY way to reset the system.

Good luck.. post a picture of the engine bay if you can. That would help.

Hmmm. OKay.

This is so crazy and aggravating! We are broke right now and can't afford the dang $200 to get a new remote! The stupid car is still sitting at the grocery store and we have tried to unplug every dang thing we can to get it reset to no avail. I am having to haul my husband back and forth to work, my kids to school and myself to work all with the same vehicle because we can't get that other dang car cranked. I am so TOTALLY hacked off right now I could scream!

Did anyone ever ask if this was a factory alarm or an aftermarket one? My car has an aftermarket alarm with an immobilizer on it, and the only way to reset it is to unlock and lock the doors again with the remote. Did anyone try changing the battery in the remote? That would be the simplest fix if the remote is having problems. If you locked the doors with the key that first time, then the alarm shouldn't have gone off anyway, because the keys don't arm the system...

This is a factory installed system. Yes, just locking the doors with the key did activate it. The previous buyer somehow broke the remote by dropping it. The metal clip that holds the battery in place is broken off. My husband's friend (guy we got the car from) told us all this when we got it. This happened once before and my husband was able to just hold the battery in place touching the clip and all the other parts together enough to make it where he could press the button to deactivate the alarm. Then he tossed the remote and all its pieces into the tray under the dash. When he fished them out the other night to try to turn off the alarm he discovered the metal clip piece is completely gone now. Because the remote is missing a piece, we can't get it to work even by holding it all together. We tried the key turning method upon advice of others and it didn't work either. We are hearing from other people now that the ONLY way to deactivate the factory installed alarm on the 2000 model is a remote. We have to try to buy one now.

Use a tiny piece of metal or a paperclip to get the remote to work. As log as it touches the battery and the connector your good.

Tried that and no go.

$80 and one new remote later.....we have it turned off and the car home. Turns out that yes, the Honda Accord remotes are $150 and only sold in a set of 2 at the dealership but the Civic remote is the same as the one for this particular model and you don't have to get the Civic remote in pairs, but can get only one for $80.

Archived