Catalytic converter on my 1998 Accord V6

KennyMike

I recently at had the catalytic converter replaced on my 1998 Accord EX by one of our famous national chain muffler shops. In just a little over two months the check engine light came back on and the 420 code showed up again. Now the boys of that shop are suggesting that I go from the universal unit to their direct fit model and they also suggest that I replace my 02 sensors. I have a couple of days before my 90 day labor warranty window is up so I thought I would throw my concerns out here on these forums for a bit of feedback.

I am a little more than disappointed that they didn't put in the right catalytic converter in the 1st place and I'm wondering about the validity of needing to replace my 02 sensors. From a search on the forums I was able to find out that the 02 sensors actually have another code number but may be guilty of not functioning properly and making the 420 code show up. Also I guess if I were to do it a piece at a time, I could save some money by replacing the sensors 1st and the catalytic converter if the light comes back on, or upgrade the catalytic converter and hope that I don't have to replace the sensors. Are there any mechanics out there that could offer me some logical feedback?

If they replaced your cat with the proper OEM replacement, then it shouldn't need replaced again. I would check with them that they put on the right one (because if they didn't, then it should be their problem to fix it) and if they did, then they should have replaced the O2 sensors at the same time. If they didn't, then I'd personally replace them and go from there. If the cat supposedly went bad in less than 90 days, then I would have a major issue with the work performed at that shop.

Archived